3 Masks with Cornstarch to Protect Your Hair from the Sun
In this article we’re going to share some very useful masks with cornstarch with you, to protect your hair from the sun. This product has moisturizing and nourishing properties. When you use it, you’ll have hair that looks like it just came out of the hairdresser’s.
If we’ve already got your attention and you want to have radiant hair, despite continuous exposure to the sun, then read on!
Why should you protect your hair from the sun?
The first thing to say is that hair is described by some experts as a highly sensitive organ of the body. However, sun protection is often neglected in hair care.
Experts explain that photoprotection is very important. The sun also affects the hair structure, causing oxidation, discoloration, breakage, and weakness. Taken together, these conditions result in dull, split ends and weak hair.
Studies on hair loss in women show that one of the general care measures that should be applied to treat alopecia is to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun. In particular, when there is excessive hair loss, the skin of the head is more exposed. Serious burns could occur, preventing the growth of new strands.
Read also: How to Restore Hair Vitality After Summer
Cosmetic properties of cornstarch
The cosmetic use of cornstarch is nothing new. It’s considered to be a very efficient home treatment for hair and even for the skin, thanks to its properties.
Scientific articles point out that corn (which cornstarch comes from) has Gramineae, proteins with notorious moisturizing properties. In addition, they contribute to give body, volume, and protection to the hair.
This moisturizing property can be enhanced by mixing cornstarch with other compounds that have a similar effect. An example is almond oil or extra virgin olive oil.
Regulates scalp oil
Cornstarch as a dry shampoo for hair is an ancient trick. It helps to eliminate excess sebum or oil. In this case, it’s used without any added ingredients; it’s applied by only sprinkling a little on your hair.
In addition to leaving your hair clean, you’ll have a protective film that will protect you from the sun. You’ll also get soft, silky, and frizz-free hair.
Smoothes your hair
While there’s no scientific evidence to support this property of cornstarch, we name it as a hair benefit because it’s quite popular. Some say that its prolonged use on curly hair, in combination with other products such as coconut oil, helps to straighten the hair.
The 3 cornstarch masks to protect your hair from the sun
Now that you know the benefits of using cornstarch to care for your hair, let’s tell you about the three masks you can use. Use one every week or choose the one that is easiest for you to prepare.
1. Cornstarch mask with natural oils
To protect your hair from the sun, don’t hesitate to use this cornstarch mask with natural oils. It will moisturize the hair fibers, strengthen them and prevent damage from UV rays. Take note!
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of almond oil
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until you get a smooth cream
- Apply it all over your hair and scalp
- Let the mask act for 15 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
Discover more: Carrots and Coconut for Hair Growth
2. Egg cornstarch mask
To prepare another of the masks with cornstarch to look after and protect your hair from the sun, you’ll only need to mix the cornstarch with some common ingredients in your pantry. This recipe is especially recommended for those who already have damaged hair and are suffering from dry hair.
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 3 egg whites
- 2 quarts of water
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and set aside in a dish.
- Mix the water and cornstarch in a saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium heat.
- Stir frequently until you get a gel-like texture.
- When you achieve it, turn off the heat and place the mixture where you had the egg whites.
- Add the honey and mix well.
- Apply all over the hair and leave it on for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Wash with plenty of warm water and use your usual shampoo to neutralize the smell of egg whites.
3. Dry cornstarch mask to protect your hair from the sun
In addition to helping you protect your hair from sun damage, the dry cornstarch mask we’re about to show you will moisturize and remove excess oil. It will also be a protective film for everyday use.
- 10 cups of cornstarch
- 1/2 cup of baking soda
- 1 container to store the dry mask
- Use a plate to mix the two ingredients very well.
- Pack in a container that you can spray on your hair when you need it.
- Use the dry mask on a daily basis. You don’t have to wash it out; just apply and comb it through your hair.
Enjoy healthy hair protected from the sun!
Use cornstarch masks to protect your hair from the sun once or twice a week. You can choose any of these recipes or alternate them as you consider.
Remember that cornstarch contains vitamins A, B group, C and E, which will strengthen each hair fiber from deep inside. The result is shiny, silky hair with magazine-cover-worthy volume.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Albarán, C., Alejandro, L., & Chaparro, A. (2015). Estudio descriptivo sobre la pérdida de cabello de patrón femenino en una consulta dermatológica general (Doctoral dissertation). https://repository.urosario.edu.co/server/api/core/bitstreams/578fe100-0bdd-4159-af7e-1e9c9dd20aac/content
- Puig, E. F. (2004). Fotoprotección capilar: agresión solar y reparación del cabello. Offarm: farmacia y sociedad, 23(7), 76-81. https://www.elsevier.es/es-revista-offarm-4-articulo-fotoproteccion-capilar-13064294
- Reyes, J. Á. S., Fernández, L. M. G., Ávila, J. R., & Bouhanna, P. (2007). El pelo. Generalidades y funciones. Dermatología Cosmética, Médica y Quirúrgica, 5(4), 218-223. https://www.medigraphic.com/cgi-bin/new/resumen.cgi?IDARTICULO=55952amp/