Gelatin Treatments for Hair Health
Gelatin treatments have a wide variety of uses, including hair care. You can apply it to your hair (especially if it’s wavy or curly) for shine and definition.
Women who have wavy or curly hair know how important it is to stop frizz and tame those strands.
People with curly hair often use gels, waxes, mousse, or sprays to keep it in place, particularly in humid or wet conditions. Using them regularly, however, isn’t always the best option.
For healthy, silky, and easy-to-care-for hair, some people recommend using gelatin as a complement to your regular regimen.
What gelatin treatments are there?
Adding a little bit of gelatin to your daily shampoo is a very simple method that many people apply to give their hair a pampering and, of course, extra nutrition.
There are those who do the same thing, but with the conditioner or a cream bath. In this sense, there are no rules, since the main thing is to take advantage of the gelatin treatments.
If you have a 10 ounce conditioner bottle, to make it healthier you just need to add 1 tablespoon of gelatin powder the following way:
- Boil about 1 cup of water in a small saucepan
- Add the gelatin powder when the water begins to boil
- Stir well until it is totally dissolved
- Allow it to cool, stirring occasionally so a film doesn’t develop
- Lastly, add the liquid to your conditioner container and use it like you normally would.
We recommend reading: Five natural hair conditioners
Gelatin and aloe vera mask
Some people believe that aloe vera gel can be used to make a homemade treatment to nourish and fortify your hair. Combined with gelatin, this makes a great option for curly or wavy hair.
- One c. of water
- 1 tbsp. of aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp. of gelatin powder
- Heat the water just like in the previous recipe, add all the ingredients and mix well
- Store this in the fridge and apply it to wet hair for 10 minutes once a week
See also: Seven remedies for healthier hair
How gelatin treatments help the hair
Gelatin is rich in protein and may provide texture, shine, and vitality to your hair.
In hair and nail development there is a process called keratinization, by which the protein called keratin produces a hardening of the epidermis (also present in your hair). That helps protect it from potential damage.
- For this treatment to be effective, it’s best to use this treatment at least twice a week
- You should also avoid excessive use of hair dryers or curling irons, which dry out and damage your hair
Gelatin treatments for your hair are an excellent option as long as you remember the following basic tips for caring for your hair:
- Protect your hair from sunlight during the brightest hours of the day, especially if you’re at the beach or high altitudes.
- Don’t wash your hair in hot water – try warm water, and always make your final rinse with cold water.
- Comb your hair using a wide-toothed comb, and be careful to avoid breakage.
- Allow your hair to air dry, or use the cooler settings on your hairdryer.
- If you have curly hair, comb and detangle your hair before you get in the shower.
- After you shower, don’t use a brush or a comb. Instead, scrunch your hair with your hands so that it curls properly. That will give you well-defined, beautiful curls!
Strengthen your hair from the inside
To have beautiful hair it’s important that you remember that what you eat also nourishes your scalp.
If you’re suffering from dry, frizzy hair, it might be because of a bad diet, a nutritional deficit, or something else.
Some foods can be a great addition to your diet and help strengthen your hair:
- Brewer’s yeast
- Wheat germ
- Flaxseed oil
- Dried fruit
However, remember that the most important thing is to have a complete, varied, and balanced diet. Not just for beautiful hair, but also to be healthy and feel great.
If you have any questions about what a healthy diet consists of, talk to a nutritionist.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
Aceite de Lino: Qué es, Propiedades y Beneficios y Uso. (n.d.). Retrieved January 12, 2019, from https://www.hsnstore.com/blog/aceite-de-lino/
Los secretos de la Levadura de Cerveza para lucir una melena perfecta – Alpel. (n.d.). Retrieved January 12, 2019, from https://www.alpel.es/blog/levadura-cerveza-melena-perfecta
Las cualidades del Aloe Vera y Mascarillas para Pelo y Cutis | Consejos sobre salud. (n.d.). Retrieved January 12, 2019, from https://fisiostar.com/salud/consejos-sobre-salud/las-cualidades-del-aloe-vera-y-mascarillas-para-pelo-y-cutis
Consumo, E. L., Productos, L. D. E., Yuca, A. B. D. E., & Papa, A. Y. (n.d.). Recet io de Aguacate Recet io de.