Preparing a meal that satisfies your taste buds without being overly complicated to make doesn’t necessarily have to be a challenge. An example is this delicious and easy serrano soup recipe.
Although the majority of soups require great care when it comes to choosing, cooking and combining the ingredients, the nice part about serrano soup is that all these steps are pretty easy.
In addition, the nutritional content of this recipe meets the body’s calorie, protein and mineral requirements.
What is the secret of this dish in particular? It’s all in the mixture of different kinds of proteins. It contains pork (in the form of serrano ham) and vegetables like garlic, onion and parsley which together both satisfy and nourish the body.
In fact, this recipe contains up to 60% vegetables, so it has the perfect balance. It is worth highlighting that this soup is particularly recommended for people suffering from a deficiency of some kind, like anemia for example.
On the other hand, serrano soup is ideal for those who are looking for an energy boost to keep them active that doesn’t cause any heaviness like other soups and broths can do.
How to make serrano soup
This delicious serrano soup will give you the healthy fats that your body needs and will keep your bad cholesterol or LDL levels down. Plus, it also contains the star ingredient of Mediterranean cooking: garlic.
- 3 eggs
- 1 large onion (50 g)
- 7 cloves of garlic (25 g)
- 2 sprigs of fresh parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of salt (75 g)
- 5 medium tomatoes (750 g).
- 1 cup of whole almonds (100 g)
- 2 large cups of serrano ham (200 g)
- 4 slices of wheat bread (300 g)
- First, make sure to wash all the vegetables well.
- Then, put a pan of water on a low heat.
- Leave it to warm up, little by little, for 20 minutes.
- Once the water is almost at boiling point, add the eggs and leave them for 10 minutes.
- When this process is completed, put the eggs on a separate plate and start to peel them and then cut them into pieces.
Want to know more? Read: 2 Vegetable Soups You’ve Got to Try
- Next, peel the garlic cloves making sure to leave no trace of the skins and then crush them.
- Then, put the almonds and the crushed garlic in a frying pan with a splash of extra virgin olive oil.
- Let the garlic and almonds sauté a little so that the flavors mix perfectly.
- Then, remove them from the pan and set them aside.
- With the help of a blender, grind up the mixture until you have a thick paste. You can add some water if you like.
- After, cut the stalks off the tomatoes and throw them away, and then cut a little cross into the bottom of each tomato.
- Blanch the tomatoes for approximately 2 minutes in a small pot of boiling water, then drain them, remove the skin and chop them into little cubes.
- Remember the frying pan that you sautéed the garlic and almonds in? Don’t wash it yet! Instead, chop the onions into small cubes and start frying them in the same pan. Remember that the ingredients require a certain length of time to acquire the desired flavor.
- When the onion has browned, add the tomatoes. Then, cook them together on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Now, carefully cut the serrano ham (or another ham substitute) into small cubes. The idea is to make the most of the quantity of ham you have.
- Add the chopped ham to the garlic and almond paste and stir it until it is well-mixed.
- Then, add 5 glasses of water and the cooked egg and mix all the ingredients together in a casserole dish and leave it to cook for 15 minutes.
- Cut the bread into small pieces and fry them with vegetable oil in the frying pan.
Once everything has cooled down a little, you can serve the soup and enjoy a truly delicious and healthy meal!