Treat Oily Hair with Sea Salt
According to popular belief, sea salt can be used to make different homemade products and, more specifically, cleansing tonics for oily hair.
Are you wondering how sea salt can reduce the amount of oil in your hair and scalp? Continue reading to learn about all about this wonderful ingredient.
Check out this article too: 7 Eco-Friendly Cleaning Tricks Using Salt
What is sea salt known for?
Sea salt is a product obtained from the evaporation of seawater. It has a high content of sodium chloride and tiny amounts of trace elements such as calcium, iodine, manganese and magnesium chloride. However, the substance left after the refining process is composed almost exclusively of sodium.
Get rid of oily hair with sea salt
Sea salt, unlike regular salt, comes from the evaporation of seawater, which produces accumulated mineral formations.
According to popular belief, sea salt can help cleanse the hair and, at the same time, provide it with certain nutrients. However, its should be emphasized that it should only be used as needed; Daily use can dry out the hair strands excessively and damage them.
Sea salt also improves circulation in the areas of the skin where it is applied. This improves the supply of oxygen to your skin and scalp.
Therefore, you’ll have faster hair growth, greater volume, and a much healthier scalp. Now that you know how it works and are ready to try it at home, you’ll need to learn how to apply it to your hair.
Read this article too: Which types of salt is the healthiest?
Sea salt cleansing tonic for oily hair
A sea salt cleansing tonic for oily hair can be prepared in two ways: with water and salt or with shampoo and salt.
As well as this, instead of salt, you could also make a tonic with peppermint oil to cleanse your hair.
- 2 parts shampoo
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of sea salt (30 to 45 g)
Preparation and application
- First pour two parts of your favorite shampoo into a small container that’s clean and dry.
- Add two to three tablespoons of sea salt (depending on how oily your hair is) to the container with the shampoo and mix well until the salt dissolves completely.
- In the shower, apply some of this mixture to your hair by completely covering your hair.
- Be sure to massage your scalp with this mixture for five minutes and let it work for another five to 10 minutes.
- Next, rinse your hair with warm water. It’s usually a good idea to do a final cold water rinse to close your hair cuticles.
- Finally, apply a hydrating conditioner to help your hair recover.
- You can repeat this process two to four times a week. After a month you’ll start to see excellent results from this exfoliant.
It’s important that you use this technique occasionally, because doing it too often can cause your hair dry out.
Its use is especially recommended for people who have excess oil on their scalp. However, people with mixed or dry hair shouldn’t use it, as it can be counterproductive.
Remember not to use a sea salt tonic every time you wash your hair, only as needed.
In case you need a specialized treatment to control your hair’s oil production, it’s best to consult a dermatologist. A professional will be able to tell you what’s most appropriate for you after an evaluation.