Tlalpeno Soup Recipe
Would you believe us if we told you that tlalpeno soup is originally from Mexico and that it apparently has mystical attributes? They believe it gives our bodies a boost and provides us with more energy.
Continue reading to learn more about it.
The Origens of Tlalpeno Soup
This interesting soup has several origins, but the most well-known one is in the region of Veracruz, specifically in San Agustín de las Cuevas (Tlalpan, Mexico).
It’s said that Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna (the 11-time president of Mexico) attended the festivals of this town and that, one day, after several days of celebrating, he woke up with a terrible hangover.
Faced with this situation, he asked his cook to make him a soup that would bring his soul back into his body. The woman made him a chicken broth with tomato, chile, epazote, and salt. When asked what the name was of this delicious soup, she said: Tlalpeno soup. That’s how this soup got its name.
This dish is loaded with tons of vitamins, and it’s great for digestion. Additionally, if we’re talking about original recipes, this one definitely takes the cake for being the most original, and even more so for its context. That’s because it’s well known that Mexican food contains a lot of spicy seasonings, highlighted by its unique flavors.
If you’re one of those people who’s constantly looking for new ways to cook and you like exploring different countries’ gastronomy, this tlalpeno soup recipe will definitely satisfy your culinary needs.
However, although this recipe isn’t very difficult to follow in terms of procedures for seasoning and cooking, there are some tricks that you should pay attention to.
How to Make Tlalpeno Soup
First of all, it’s important to know that tlalpeno soup can cause certain risks if you suffer from any of these conditions:
- Type 1 and 2 diabetes
- Arterial hypertension
- High cholesterol
- Coronary diseases
The soup contains fats from the ingredients themselves, such as: chicken, avocado, oil, etc. Therefore, it’s not recommended for people who have to follow a special diet.
Read this article: The Most Effective Natural Remedies for Diabetes
- 4 cups of chicken broth (1 liter)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (400 g)
- 50 g fresh epazote
- 2 cups of carrots cut into cubes (270 g)
- 1 tablespoon of corn oil (15 ml)
- 1 chopped onion (about 100 g)
- 3 garlic cloves without skin
- 4 sliced tomatoes (about 400 g)
- 1 cilantro branch
- 2 pieces of chipotle chile
- 1 cup of chickpeas (230 g)
- 1 avocado without the pit, diced
- 2 tablespoons of salt (30 g)
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- Put the broth and chicken breasts into a large pot over low heat.
- Let them cook for 25-30 minutes. This will all depend on how you like your chicken.
- After that time, and when the chicken is cooked the way you like it, add the cut carrots and cook for another five minutes.
- At the same time, cover a pan with corn oil. Then, fry the garlic, onion and tomato slices for 5 minutes and then blend them. You’ll get a soupy consistency.
- Add that soup to the pot with the broth and then add the coriander, epazote, chickpeas, chipotle chile, salt and pepper. Let it all cook for another 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes, remove the chicken breasts, unravel them and then put them back in the soup.
- Last, serve it hot. Cut the avocados into slices and add them on top.
- All that you have to do now is enjoy!
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre. (Consulta 2018). CHILE CHIPOTLE. Online [https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_chipotle].
- Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre. (Consulta 2018). DYSPHANIA AMBOSIOIDES. Online [https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphania_ambrosioides].
- Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre. (Consulta 2018). CALDO TLALPEÑO. Online [https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldo_tlalpe%C3%B1o].