Onion and Garlic Soup, a Way to Boost Your Defenses
Combining onion and garlic makes a really powerful natural remedy for preventing certain illnesses as well as helping to balance your diet with its multiple benefits.
Onion and garlic soup is the perfect recipe to boost your defenses. Both garlic and onion contain many vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They also have antibiotic properties to help prevent and fight certain infections.
A good diet is fundamental for strong defenses in the face of illness. Onion and garlic soup is a more and more popular recipe and is often used for treating things like the flu.
Onion and Garlic Soup Recipe to Boost Your Defenses
- 3 onions
- 1 carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small white radish
- 2 1/4 cups of vegetable stock (570 ml)
- A pinch of mustard powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (30 ml)
- First, finely chop the onion.
- Peel the cloves of garlic and crush them a little with a mortar.
- Wash, peel, and chop the carrot. Do the same with the white radish.
- Pour a little olive oil in a pan and heat it over a low heat.
- Add the onions, carrot, garlic, and white radish.
- Sauté the vegetables over a low heat, so that they gradually golden.
- Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- A few minutes later, add the bay leaf, mustard powder, and vegetable stock.
- Stir well so that all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Cover the pan and leave it to boil over a low heat for about 20 minutes. This way, the aroma and properties will be concentrated.
- Then, remove the bay leaf. You can also remove the carrot or leave it in, it’s up to you.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
The Benefits of Onion and Garlic Soup
There are many varied benefits to onion and garlic. Among the most important, we would like to highlight that both foods are great for strengthening the immune system. They boost your defenses and help prevent infections and illnesses.
Below, we’ve made an interesting list of properties for each one:
The Properties of Onion
- Act as a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Also have antibiotic and antibacterial properties.
- Fight intestinal parasites in the body.
- Regular consumption helps lower blood pressure.
- Detoxify the body.
- Are an excellent digestion stimulant. They help prevent bloateding and constipation.
- Increase the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) and get rid of excess bad cholesterol (LDL).
- Work as an expectorant. They’re known for helping to calm a strong cough.
- Are also good for helping to clear your airways.
- Regulate blood sugar levels.
- Reduce the symptoms of colds, flu, and coughs.
The Properties of Garlic
- Acts as a natural anti-inflammatory and antibiotic.
- Has antispetic and antibacterial properties.
- Helps get rid of toxic substances and heavy metals from the body. In other words, it detoxifies the body.
- Works as a vaso-dilator.
- Helps to reduce levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and lowers blood pressure.
- Is very good for your respiratory system. It also works as an expectorant just like onions.
- Is also great for your gastrointestinal system, and helps with cases of colitis or diarrhea, among others.
- Is effective at alleviating arthritis.
- Improves problems related to the liver.
- Is a great remedy for people with diabetes.
Any soup or broth made out of natural ingredients is a good choice at any time of year. When it comes to nutrition, the combination of onion and garlic is a great way to boost the individual properties of each ingredient. This way you’ll boost your defenses and alleviate cold or flu symptoms.
This recipe for onion and garlic soup is really easy to make and you can drink a lot of it. It’s a perfect recipe for the cold months of winter and, as well as being really healthy, is also really tasty, too.