The Thousand and One Beauty Uses of Coconut Oil
There may not be more than a thousand uses for coconut oil, but the truth is that there are quite a few. In the following article, you will find out what are some of the thousand and one uses of coconut oil in beauty, so you can start adding it to your care routine.
The best uses of coconut oil for your care
If your cuticles are flaky, dry, or in bad condition, rub coconut oil all over the nail, but with emphasis on that area. Make a circular massage and take the opportunity to moisturize your hands!
Improve the appearance of the hair
Do you have dull hair that’s not soft at all and also brittle? You can also take advantage of the benefits of coconut oil!
It will be cheaper than going to the hairdresser for a weekly cream bath or certain treatments sold in stores.
And best of all, it has no chemical ingredients. Beauty experts say that the fatty acids in this oil add shine and softness, in addition to repairing damaged strands.
Make a mask with a few drops, cover your hair with a towel or shower cap, and leave it on for 40 minutes before rinsing. Rinse first with warm water and then with cold water to close the hair cuticles.
Another option is to apply just a few drops to the ends of your hair after bathing and drying (without rinsing).
We think you may also enjoy reading this article: 5 Treatments With Coconut Oil to Reduce Stretch Marks and Scars
Eliminate frizz and static electricity in your hair
If you find it impossible to control your hair when it is very humid, you can apply a few drops to the roots or to the areas that give you the most problems.
The fatty components of the oil will serve as hair armor, as they repel humidity from the environment, the real problem of untamed hair.
It brightens skin
If your skin looks dull and lifeless, coconut oil can help:
- First, combine a few drops of this oil with a tablespoon of baking soda.
- Mix well to create a paste and you will have a very effective exfoliant.
- Apply this mixture on the skin with circular movements, leave it on for a few minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Then apply a moisturizing cream (try to do this mask at night).
Another interesting mixture is coconut oil and honey, a mask that has antibacterial properties in addition to moisturizing and exfoliating. Let it act for 15 minutes and wash well.
Due to cold weather or exposure to the sun, lips peel, hurt, and can even bleed.
To maintain a perfect mouth, with moisturized, soft, and good-looking lips, there’s nothing better than putting on a few drops of coconut oil.
Another option is to mix a few drops of oil with a spoonful of brown sugar. You will make an excellent exfoliant, which you will spread in a circular motion.
If you want greater protection for your lips, apply a few drops after using lipstick, which will give them an extra shine.
Improve your bath
If you like to take immersion baths, you can take advantage of the properties of coconut oil. Simply pour a few drops into warm water to moisturize the skin. You can also add Epsom salts, which relieve muscle tension.
Like this article? You may also like to read: Make a Scrub for Stretch Marks with Coffee and Coconut Oil
This is a beauty secret that has been very well kept until now (and another use of coconut oil): it allows you to remove traces of makeup.
Just put a few drops on a cotton ball and gently wipe it over your skin. Finish with a rinse using a warm, wet cotton cloth.
It’s perfect for waterproof makeup or if you wear many layers of makeup.
Coconut oil moisturizes skin
If you want to keep your skin soft and healthy, take advantage of one more use for coconut oil.
How? Add a few drops to your favorite moisturizer or apply it directly to your hands, legs, feet, arms, etc. It will leave a light coconut scent.
Don’t worry about its oily texture, in a few minutes the skin absorbs it all. Your skin will be soft and moisturized.
Acne breakouts are a problem, but this oil helps reduce the inflammation it causes not only on the face, but also on the shoulders, arms, or back.
It can also reduce irritation and redness:
- Cleanse the skin as usual, using a neutral soap.
- Then, apply a thin layer of coconut oil on the face.
- Don’t rinse it off, let the components absorb on their own.
Remember to wait at least an hour before going to sleep; otherwise, all the oil will remain on your pillow and sheets.
It improves scalp health
If you have dandruff or flaking hair, you can benefit from the use of coconut oil in this aspect.
When you get out of the shower, gently massage a few drops of this wonderful oil with your fingertips all over your scalp.
You don’t have to rinse it off. In addition, it will give you a sense of tranquility and calm (remember that dandruff often occurs when there’s a lot of stress, anxiety, or nerves).
As we’ve already said, these are just some of the countless uses of coconut oil. Take advantage of its beneficial properties and incorporate it into your beauty routine!
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Burnett CL, Bergfeld WF, Belsito DV, Klaassen CD, Marks JG Jr, Shank RC, Slaga TJ, Snyder PW, Andersen FA. Final report on the safety assessment of Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil and related ingredients. Int J Toxicol. 2011 May;30(3 Suppl):5S-16S.
- Evangelista MT, Abad-Casintahan F, Lopez-Villafuerte L. The effect of topical virgin coconut oil on SCORAD index, transepidermal water loss, and skin capacitance in mild to moderate pediatric atopic dermatitis: a randomized, double-blind, clinical trial. Int J Dermatol. 2014 Jan;53(1):100-8.
- Kim S, Jang JE, Kim J, Lee YI, Lee DW, Song SY, Lee JH. Enhanced barrier functions and anti-inflammatory effect of cultured coconut extract on human skin. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017 Aug;106(Pt A):367-375.
- Nevin KG, Rajamohan T. Effect of topical application of virgin coconut oil on skin components and antioxidant status during dermal wound healing in young rats. Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2010;23(6):290-7.
- Pham TL, Thi TT, Nguyen HT, Lao TD, Binh NT, Nguyen QD. Anti-Aging Effects of a Serum Based on Coconut Oil Combined with Deer Antler Stem Cell Extract on a Mouse Model of Skin Aging. Cells. 2022 Feb 9;11(4):597.
- Varma SR, Sivaprakasam TO, Arumugam I, Dilip N, Raghuraman M, Pavan KB, Rafiq M, Paramesh R. In vitro anti-inflammatory and skin protective properties of Virgin coconut oil. J Tradit Complement Med. 2018 Jan 17;9(1):5-14.
- Verallo-Rowell VM, Dillague KM, Syah-Tjundawan BS. Novel antibacterial and emollient effects of coconut and virgin olive oils in adult atopic dermatitis. Dermatitis. 2008 Nov-Dec;19(6):308-15.
- Wallace TC. Health Effects of Coconut Oil-A Narrative Review of Current Evidence. J Am Coll Nutr. 2019 Feb;38(2):97-107.