Make a Cream to Straighten Hair with Ingredients from Your Kitchen
Although its properties to straighten hair may not be as fast as those of other chemical treatments, this cream also helps nourish your hair and protect it against external aggression.
Having straight and shiny hair allows you to “tame” your hair more easily and achieve better hairstyles. For this purpose, people seek various products and treatments to soften and straighten their hair while hydrating it.
Although many stylists have developed techniques to achieve a perfect straightening, some home treatments can be useful when it comes to achieving a good hairstyle and, in turn, maintain capillary health. This is because they nourish the scalp and strands, without aggressively removing its natural barriers.
Below, we share the recipe for a homemade cream that can help you straighten hair and hydrate it to make it look healthy and spectacular.
This natural straightening cream is made from a combination of coconut milk, lemon, olive oil and a little cornstarch. Its said that these ingredients possess natural moisturizing and restorative properties that control excess frizz and unruly curls for perfectly straight hair.
While it won’t offer the immediate results of chemical treatments or a straightening iron, after several applications, you’ll notice the difference.
Its main benefits come from coconut milk, a product that’s obtained from crushing the white pulp of the fruit. It’s characterized by its high content of medium-chain fatty acids and high quality protein, all of which help repair damaged hair, help retain its natural moisture, and facilitate straightening.
Don’t miss: 5 Natural Ingredients for Treating Dry Hair
As a complement, olive oil and lemon work to nourish and strengthen the hair roots and reduce the weakness that leads to hair loss. Even though they don’t possess any straightening properties, they leave hair silkier, more manageable, and easier to style.
The omega-3 fatty acids in olive oil, along with the antioxidants in lemon juice, protect hair from oxidative stress and damage from high heat. On the other hand, cornstarch works as a natural conditioner, making it ideal for eliminating static frizz characteristic of wavy hair.
Its continued use enhances the effects of the coconut milk, helping it do its job of straightening hair without damaging it.
Want to learn more? Read: Six Essential Oils to Speed Up Hair Growth
To make this natural cream, we recommend noting the following.
- The juice of one lemon
- 1 cup of coconut milk (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (32 g)
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch (30 g)
- To make coconut milk, extract the white pulp from the fruit and process it in a blender with a cup of warm water.
- Strain the liquid through a colander, using the milk for this remedy and saving the flour for other recipes.
- Put the liquid in a double boiler with the olive oil, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- Let warm for a few minutes until it becomes creamy in texture.
- Pour the product into a glass container and let sit before use.
- Take an ample amount and massage through the hair and scalp for five minutes.
- Make sure you apply to your entire hair and scalp. Then, cover your head with a plastic cap and let the cream act for 40-45 minutes.
- Warm a moist towel and wrap it around your head to increase effectiveness.
- After the recommended time, rinse normally and brush straight while wet.
- Repeat application at least three times a week too see results.
Remember that the effects of this product vary depending on the type of hair and the regularity you apply it with. Incorporate it into your regular beauty routine to see that it has many other benefits.
Additionally, remember to follow a good diet and stay hydrated, as these are key to hair health. Keep in mind that, just like skin, hair needs nutrients from different food groups to stay beautiful.