The Spooning Position: One of the Most Popular Sex Positions
The spooning position is a tender and passionate position that allows a couple to get closer to each other. Although it’s considered a romantic position, it’s also an exciting one.
It is called “spooning” because the shape of the partners is similar to when two spoons are placed side by side.
Although you may have other preferred positions, you may have enjoyed spooning at some point. Some people even consider it one of the best positions, as you don’t have to exert yourself too much physically, and you can let yourself be carried away by the passion.
How is the spooning position performed?
Both partners lie on their sides on the surface of their choice: the bed, the carpet, the living room furniture etc. To perform it, as explained in an article published in 2018 by Reproductive System and Sexual Disorders , one of the two must be facing away from their partner. The other will take his partner by the hips, while penetrating her.
The spooning position is simple and comfortable for both partners. Besides, it has an additional benefit, which is that it enables you to masturbate your partner at the same time you penetrate her. Because of this, it’s a position that can easily lead to orgasm.
Read also: The Five Sexiest Positions for Men
It should be noted that penetration doesn’t have to be carried out only through the vagina; it’s also possible to do it through the anus. So, sometimes, instead of resorting to doggy style (for example), the couple prefers to enjoy the practice of spooning.
Why is it one of the best sexual positions?
The spooning position is one of the most common in sexual practice due to the many benefits it offers. Here, we detail them one by one.
- Freedom for caressing and masturbation. As we have already pointed out, the spooning position gives you the freedom to caress and masturbate your partner while penetration takes place. Thus, the stimulation of the different erogenous zones of the other person will make both of you enjoy the act even more.
- Vaginal or anal penetration. In this position, you can perform both anal and vaginal penetration.
- Control for both. While it’s true that one of the two partners can guide the pace and intensity of penetration, this position also allows both partners to cooperate (thus stimulating each other).
We recommend you read: Five of the Sexual Positions Women Love the Most
- Longer-lasting sex. With the spooning position, sex can last longer, since it takes a little longer for the man to reach climax.
- Less physical effort. As we’ve already mentioned, in this position, both partners are lying on their sides on a surface and it isn’t necessary to carry out too much physical effort. On the contrary, the movements are done comfortably. And, in fact, this is one of the reasons why it’s also the most popular position among pregnant women in the third trimester of pregnancy, as indicated by a study conducted at the University of Wiener (Peru).
- Eye contact. The partner in front is able to choose between remaining with his back to his partner or turning a little to establish eye contact and thus become more excited.
The spooning position: tenderness and romance
The spooning position is an excellent opportunity to enjoy sex as a couple with a dose of tenderness. One partner is able to embrace the other during penetration, thus conveying a certain sense of “protection”, affection and, in short, closeness. In other words, spooning can go hand in hand with cuddling and become, as therapist Sarah Hunter Murray explains, a romantic experience for both partners.
However, it’s important to clarify that you don’t have to be a romantic to enjoy it. Each member will enjoy it in the way they want to, whether that be tenderly or passionately. Whichever way you do it, you’re sure to experience pleasure, and that’s the most important thing!
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Cachique Oliveira, Suzeti Margarita. (2013). Conductas sexuales de gestantes atendidas en el hospital San Juan de Lurigancho. Universidad de Wiener. Lima, Perú. http://repositorio.uwiener.edu.pe/bitstream/handle/123456789/83/048%20OBSTETRICIA%20CACHIQUE%2c%20rev.%20LB%20CERRADO.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- El-Gharib MN and Albehoty SB. (2018). Sex in Elderly Women. Reprod Syst Sex Disord 7: 221. doi:10.4172/2161-038X.1000221
- Sarah Hunter Murray. (2017). The Sexual Science of Cuddling. Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/myths-desire/201708/the-sexual-science-cuddling