8 Remarkable Benefits of Drinking Turmeric Juice
Turmeric, or Curcuma longa, is a medicinal plant. It belongs to the Zingiberaceae family along with ginger. It has been used for hundreds of years for its natural medical applications. It’s also very nutritious and good for your health, which is why drinking turmeric juice is such a good diet option.
On top of all that, turmeric is a common spice in many recipes, giving food a touch of spiciness and a distinct yellowish orange color. People also use it in a ton of home remedies as a pain-relieving, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial substance.
In fact, because of its high concentration of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, some people think it can even be good for preventing and treating various types of cancer.
The best thing of all is that it’s very versatile and you can add it to food in all kinds of ways to benefit from its properties. For example, you can make a medicinal juice that promotes physical and cognitive health when you drink it regularly
Today, we’ll tell you what it does for your body and how to make it at home in just a few simple steps.
1. Drinking turmeric juice fights arthritis
People with arthritis can get some amazing benefits out of regular turmeric consumption.
Drinking turmeric juice gives you powerful antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties that bring down joint pain and stiffness once absorbed.
You might like:
6 Alternative Treatments for Arthritis Pain
2. It helps prevent Alzheimer’s
Curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, decreases inflammation in the brain and stops cell damage caused by free radicals. That means it can help prevent the cognitive deterioration associated with age and Alzheimer’s disease.
3. It reduces the risk of cancer
The antioxidants in turmeric can help when it comes to destroying the free radicals and abnormal cells associated with cancer. T hey also inhibit the negative effects of toxins in your body and can slow down the extremely fast growth of cancer cells.
4. It combats digestive disorders
Drinking turmeric juice can lessen the symptoms of indigestion and lower excess stomach acidity, preventing ulcers and acid reflux.
It also increases your body’s metabolism, stimulates bowel movements, and encourages proper digestion of food.
5. It supports heart health
Plus, regularly drinking turmeric juice is also an excellent way to keep bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels in check.
Its antioxidants help get rid of the lipids built-up in your arteries, which means they can prevent disorders like arteriosclerosis.
It’s also great for keeping arterial plaque from forming and preventing conditions like hypertension.
6. It fosters good liver health
This spice also helps create a balance between bilirubin and bile, two important secretions for maintaining good liver health.
Its essential nutrients optimize liver function while also decreasing inflammation, toxin buildup, and fat.
7. It prevents premature aging
This natural drink doesn’t just work against cellular aging on the inside, it’s also a big help when it comes to preventing signs of premature aging in your skin and hair.
8. It regulates blood sugar
Lastly, drinking turmeric juice can even help patients with Type 2 diabetes thanks to its ability to stimulate blood sugar metabolism. Having a glass a day significantly lowers high blood sugar levels.
How do you make turmeric juice at home?
Naturally, there are a lot of recipes for turmeric juice. Here, we’ll give you a recipe with detoxifying and diuretic powers.
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of powdered turmeric (10 g)
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons of honey (50 g)
- First, put the two cups of water into a pot and boil with the tablespoon of turmeric.
- Next, remove from heat, wait for a few minutes, then add the lemon juice.
- Then, chill in the refrigerator.
- Once cold, add the honey to sweeten it.
- Drink one or two cups a day.
- First of all, don’t go beyond the recommended amount of turmeric. Any more can irritate your digestive system.
- Turmeric juice is not recommended for people with gallbladder stones because it can cause cramps.
- Ask your doctor whether it’s alright to drink turmeric juice if you’re currently on anticoagulants or anti-inflammatories.
Principal image courtesy of wikiHow.com
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Chandran, B., & Goel, A. (2012). A randomized, pilot study to assess the efficacy and safety of curcumin in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis. Phytotherapy Research. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.4639
- Chainani-wu Nita, D.M.D., M.P.H., M. . (2003). Safety and Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Curcumin : The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1089/107555303321223035
- Mishra, S., & Palanivelu, K. (2008). The effect of curcumin (turmeric) on Alzheimer′s disease : An overview. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-2327.40220
- Zhang, L., Fiala, M., Cashman, J., Sayre, J., Espinosa, A., Mahanian, M., … Rosenthal, M. (2006). Curcuminoids enhance amyloid-β uptake by macrophages of Alzheimer’s disease patients. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-2006-10101
- Anand, P., Sundaram, C., Jhurani, S., Kunnumakkara, A. B., & Aggarwal, B. B. (2008). Curcumin and cancer: An “old-age” disease with an “age-old” solution. Cancer Letters. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.03.025
- Ravindran, J., Prasad, S., & Aggarwal, B. B. (2009). Curcumin and Cancer Cells: How Many Ways Can Curry Kill Tumor Cells Selectively? The AAPS Journal. https://doi.org/10.1208/s12248-009-9128-x
- Wongcharoen, W., & Phrommintikul, A. (2009). The protective role of curcumin in cardiovascular diseases. International Journal of Cardiology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2009.01.073
- Sikora, E., Scapagnini, G., & Barbagallo, M. (2010). Curcumin, inflammation, ageing and age-related diseases. Immunity and Ageing. https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-4933-7-1