Cinnamon and Ginger Drink to Get Rid of Coughs
Cinnamon and ginger are two very healthy medicinal spices. You can use them to get rid of coughs. In this article, you can learn how to make a homemade cinnamon and ginger drink that helps get rid of coughs, also learn all about their other health benefits.
Getting Rid of Coughs
Coughing is a reflex the body does to keep the respiratory pathways clear. A cough can be dry or phlegmy. Coughing tends to be one of the main symptoms of colds, flu, and catarrh, although some people just have chronic coughs. There is also a type of cough that occurs at night and makes sleeping difficult.
There are many different natural remedies to get rid of coughs: medicinal plants, homeopathy, syrups, pastels, etc. However, there are also some homemade remedies you can make with cheap ingredients that are easy to get hold of.
Cinnamon is an exotic and fine spice which is used in cooking all over the world. It can boost or sweeten the flavor of several sweets and desserts, such as biscuits, ice cream, puddings, creams, etc. It can also be used in a variety of stews with meat and fish.
However, little is known about their incredible health benefits:
- Soothes coughs and sore throats.
- Prevents colds and flu.
- Aids digestion and alleviates digestive problems such as gas, nausea, or heartburn.
- Reduces blood sugar levels. This makes it an excellent remedy for type-2 diabetics and people with insulin resistance.
- Reduces cholesterol.
- Fights infections.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Is an anti-oxidant.
- Is a natural stimulant with no side-effects.
In order to benefit from its maximum curative effect, the cinnamon should come from the Ceylon variety. Chinese cinnamon, on the other hand, is much less medicinal.
Ginger is an exotic root which is spicy and refreshing. It’s used a lot in Asian cooking due to its digestive properties and it’s goes well in all kinds of dishes. Ginger is also good for absorbing nutrients, which makes it the perfect condiment to any meal.
Like cinnamon, ginger also has many great health benefits:
- Reduces congestion in the respiratory pathways, soothes coughs, and warms the throat.
- Has antibacterial properties.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Improves digestion, reduces gas, and soothes heartburn.
- Helps treat constipation.
- Stimulates the body and accelerates the metabolism.
- It’s an aphrodisiac.
- Encourages perspiration.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Combats free radicals.
- Regulates the hormonal system in women.
Honey is the best sweetener for this drink because its excellent nutritional value makes it a very powerful antibiotic. It’s also very effective in treating respiratory problems. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties make it a great remedy for a dry cough. With a good reason too, it’s the base for many natural syrups, and it’s a much more recommended sweetener than sugar.
A Drink to Get Rid of Coughs
- 1 stick of Ceylon cinnamon or a teaspoon of ground cinnamon (5 g)
- 1 piece of fresh root ginger or a teaspoon of ground ginger (5 g)
- Honey (to taste)
- 3 glasses of water (600 ml)
You can use two options to make this drink to get rid of coughs. You can use cinnamon sticks or whole root ginger by boiling them in the water for 15 minutes. Then, let it sit for 10 minutes.
- On the other hand, if you use ground cinnamon and ginger, you only need to boil the water, add the cinnamon and ginger, and let it steep for 10 minutes. Either choice is really effective.
- When the drink is warm, sweeten it with honey to taste.
How to Take it
- You can drink it warm, or a tad bit hotter, but be careful not to burn yourself or irritate your throat.
- You should sip it slowly. You can likewise gargle it.
- Drink it on an empty stomach, and also in between meals.
- You can drink it for a few days as a preventative, or if you’re using it to treat an acute cough, use it until you notice any improvement.