Turmeric and Honey for Joint Pain
Experts in natural medicine claim that using turmeric and honey for joint pain is one of the best natural combinations out there. Together they form a treatment that’s full of antioxidants, vitamins, and enzymes that are excellent at reducing inflammation and helping with your joints.
If you suffer from joint pain or bone density issues, make this wonderful combination part of your regular diet today.
Most painkillers, antibiotics, and other inflammation reducing drugs have side effects. That’s not the case with turmeric and honey.
They also leave your liver and the natural flora in your intestines completely untouched.
Today, we’re going to talk about the amazing benefits of these two natural ingredients. You should always keep them around the house.
Turmeric and honey for joint pain: an age-old treatment
Just one tablespoon of turmeric and honey a day can have amazing health benefits.
But remember: if you have arthritis or osteoarthritis, you have to be consistent with this treatment and do it for at least two weeks straight if you want to see any benefits.
Although turmeric originates from Asian countries, nowadays you can find it almost anywhere. There are also many studies that show it has natural medicinal qualities and can help treat a wide variety of conditions.
You might be interested in: how to use turmeric for aches and cancer
- The Department of Molecular Biology at the University of Granada (Spain) published a study about it in 2000. They found that turmeric can naturally and effectively fight off bacterias that attack the body.
- There have been many studies since. Scientists are trying to figure out the ideal daily amount of turmeric to fight the accumulation of a protein known as beta-amyloid. This protein ends up turning into to plaque and is has a major link to degenerative diseases.
- Thanks to its high antioxidant content, turmeric is also a great natural treatment for inflammation. It can even help prevent the onset of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
So let’s see what happens when you combine it with honey.
An anti-inflammatory treatment
- Turmeric mixed with honey prevents the release of eicosanoids. These are compounds that trigger inflammation and lead to prostaglandin build-up.
- Both of them are naturally effective at preventing bone density loss. They control the release of some proteins that play a part in inflammation and lead to a deterioration of bones and cartilage.
- One of the most important qualities they have is that they act similarly to other medications. They can be steroid-based and non-steroid-based.
- Both honey and turmeric reduce histamine production in the body and raise your natural cortisone levels. This helps your body fight off inflammation without any negative side effects.
Strengthening your immune system
One of the main parts of treating arthritis and osteoarthritis is the ability to fight off any pathogens that show up when your joints become inflamed. This is what causes joint pain.
When you have a strong, healthy immune system it makes it easier to deal with the pain caused by these disorders. It’s often bad enough that limits you in your daily life.
Find out how to alleviate arthritis symptoms
But it’s important to remember that these disorders have no cure. The goal of treatment is to improve your quality of life, so taking turmeric and honey for joint pain can be a big help.
- Turmeric is rich in antioxidants and vitamins C and E, which help improve your body’s natural defenses.
- Researchers at the University of Copenhagen (Denmark) did a study showing that turmeric contains an antimicrobial peptide known as CAMP. This substance helps your immune system fight off various bacteria, viruses, or fungi even without having encountered them before.
- Honey is a natural antibiotic that people have used for centuries to strengthen the immune system and treat all kinds of conditions.
But as we said earlier, this treatment is only effective if you take it consistently.
A sample recipe of turmeric and honey for joint pain
- 1/4 cup of pure honey (100 g)
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric (10 g)
- 1 glass container with a lid
- The most important thing is that you purchase the purest and most natural honey available. Sometimes the ones you find at the grocery store have a lot of added sugars that do more harm than good.
- If you can, buy your honey directly from a beekeeper.
- This treatment is as simple as it gets. Just add the pure honey to your glass container and then the tablespoon of turmeric. Stir until well mixed and take a tablespoon of this amazing combination every morning.
Discover the best and worst exercises for knee pain
But if you’re taking any blood-thinning medications, t alk to your doctor before you start to use turmeric and honey for joint pain.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- P.N. Ravindran. (2007). Turmeric : The genus Curcuma. Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004
- Ulloa, A., Mondragón Cortez, P. M., Rogelio, Q. F. B., Rodríguez, R., Juan, Q. F. B., Reséndiz Vázquez, A., … Ulloa, R. (2010). La miel de abeja y su importancia. Revista Fuente. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-35125-9_6
- Noticias de la ciencia. (Consulta 2018). La cúrcuma puede ejercer un efecto positivo para el sistema inmunológico. Online [https://noticiasdelaciencia.com/art/4643/la-curcuma-puede-ejercer-un-efecto-positivo-para-el-sistema-inmunitario-innato].