Uric acid build-up in your body triggers an inflammatory disorder known as hyperuricemia, which can affect your joints and kidneys. Luckily, you can reduce uric acid accumulation by eating specific fruits.
This chemical substance, originating from the decomposition of purines, travels through your blood stream and is eliminated from your body by your kidneys’ filtration system.
The problem arises when it is retained in excessive quantities, whether from consuming too much of it or because your body is not eliminating it like it should.
It causes small crystals to form, which not only may lead to obstructions, but also cause swelling, pain, and other symptoms that can really affect your quality of life.
However, it is a condition that can be treated by changing your eating habits, since certain foods help control and reduce uric acid levels.
We’d like to highlight 7 tasty fruits that can help reduce uric acid in no time.
Try them today!
Cherries contain a flavonoid known as anthocyanin, which acts as an anti-inflammatory on conditions like gout.
Additionally, the substance promotes the elimination of excess uric acid while getting inflammation under control and thus reducing swelling of the affected tissues.
- Have up to 2 1/2 cups (250 g) of cherries a day, whether by themselves or in juices.
Apples are a significant source of fiber, water, and antioxidants, which work together to help purify your blood and lower high uric acid levels.
Since they are good for your digestion, they also help your body break down purines, helping get rid of toxins that accumulate in your colon as well.
And, they have a diuretic effect that helps flush out retained fluids. Additionally, this improves the health of your joints and muscles.
- Make apple juice and have a cup first thing in the morning, every day.
- Add raw apples to your salads and smoothies.
Blueberries and cranberries might be the most highly recommended fruits when it comes to lowering high uric acid levels.
High in anthocyanin an vitamin C, they help break down purines properly. They remove them from your body via normal urine production.
- They can be eaten raw, though jams and smoothies work too.
- As a remedy for inflammation, having them in the form of fresh juice, first thing in the morning, is recommended.
Grapefruits stand out as a powerful diuretic and anti-inflammatory citrus fruit. Since they help flush out fluids retained in your body, they help prevent joint problems and reduce uric acid.
High in vitamin C, water, and fiber, they reduce uric acid in the blood, helping your kidneys process and eliminate it.
- Have a glass of grapefruit juice first thing in the morning for at least 7 days.
- Consume grapefruit up to 3 times a day.
Strawberries are full of antioxidants that help neutralize the negative effects of uric acid on your body and help reduce uric acid.
What’s more, they provide vitamin C and flavonoids, which along with their fiber, encourage the decomposition of purines in certain foods.
Also, the diuretic properties of strawberries mean they increase urine production by your kidneys, a determining factor in controlling uric acid.
- Have 1/2 cup (75 g) of fresh strawberries first thing in the morning.
- Have them in fresh juice at least 3 times a week.
- Add them to your salads and smoothies.
Lemons are an alkaline food that can help get your blood pH in balance and reduce uric acid.
Their detoxifying compounds help remove built-up uric acid, keeping it from accumulating in your joints and kidneys.
They have an anti-inflammatory and diuretic effect, perfect for preventing fluid retention and joint pain.
- Have a glass of warm water with lemon first thing in the morning, every day.
- Add lemon juice to your smoothies and salads.
- Have lemon juice with olive oil.
And, another citrus fruit that has the ability to encourage the decomposition of purines in your body is the orange.
Well-known for their great taste and high vitamin C content, they also help naturally cleanse your blood.
Additionally, the flavonoids and fiber in oranges support renal function, optimizing the processes that help remove uric acid through urine.
- Have a cup of orange juice around mid-morning, every day.
Are you concerned you may have high uric acid levels? Do you have gout? Increase your consumption of the fruits mentioned above and get it under control the natural way.