6 Beverages to Relieve Kidney Pain
To relieve kidney pain, it’s essential that you stay well hydrated to encourage fluid removal. This will also eliminate any potential toxins.
Do you have kidney pain?
Your kidneys are two small organs that are very important for cleansing and detoxing your body.
They’re primarily responsible for controlling various detox functions in your body, from balancing electrolytes to maintaining blood pressure.
When pain in your kidneys appears, it could be due to a variety of reasons. Some of the most common causes include:
- The presence of an injury
- A tumor
- A urinary tract infection
- Clots in the kidney veins
- Kidney stones
- Irregular growth of the prostate
- Limited flow of urine
No matter what the cause, you’ll find that the pain is very uncomfortable and limiting.
To solve this problem, it’s best to talk with your doctor first, as kidney pain is typically just a symptom of a problem that must be dealt with comprehensively.
Fortunately, there are also some natural treatments you can take to fight kidney pain.
1. Plain waterYou already know that you should drink two liters of water a day, but most people drink much less than that.
Although it might not be a problem on your average day, it’s important to consume the correct amount if you’re experiencing kidney pain.
Remember that adequate water is essential for removing toxins from your body with ease. The two liters should be distributed throughout the day, however.
You should also be sure that your water is as natural as possible, with no added sugars or other ingredients.
See also: 10 benefits of drinking coconut water
2. Water with lemon
Lemon contains citric acid. This acid has the ability to break down and help eliminate any stones that form in the kidneys.
If you’re getting too much calcium, you’ll experience kidney pain due to difficulty purifying your urine.
To avoid this problem, try drinking a glass of water with the juice of two lemons, once a day.
Don’t add sugar or other sweeteners, to keep from introducing more toxins you don’t need.
This treatment can be especially helpful if your doctor has found that your problem is the presence of kidney stones.
3. Nettle teaHas your doctor told you that your kidney pain is due to inflammation? This can occur when you’re kidneys have trouble passing urine.
Fortunately, nettle tea helps eliminate bacteria and crystals that may be affecting your kidneys.
Try to drink a cup of this tea once a day.
- 1 teaspoon of nettle leaves (5 g)
- 1 cup of boiling water (250 ml)
- Add the nettle leaves to the water and let it steep for seven minutes.
- Strain and drink the liquid, without adding sugar or another kind of sweetener.
4. Celery juice
Celery has antiseptic properties that help eliminate bacteria that builds up in the kidneys.
If your kidney pain is causing you a lot of problems but the previous beverages don’t help you, try this option.
- Although celery juice can be a bit strong, it’s very effective. If you don’t like the taste of celery very much, you can try mixing it with water or lemon juice.
- Another option is to add celery to your smoothies. In this way, you can combine it with other fruits and vegetables listed here.
5. Pomegranate juiceThe pomegranate, both the juice and the seeds, is exceptional when it comes to treating kidney pain and urinary tract infections.
It has astringent properties that facilitate the breakdown of kidney stones formed by an excess of minerals.
In addition, this treatment is very hydrating and has a low sugar content. If you like, try drinking a glass of pomegranate juice twice a week.
Don’t forget that even though it doesn’t contain as much sugar, it is still sweet, so moderate your consumption to avoid elevating your blood sugar levels.
Visit this article: 7 remedies for urinary tract infections
6. Watermelon juice
Watermelon is a fruit that contains very high amounts of water and potassium. These two elements can be very helpful in breaking down stones that are formed by phosphates and carbonates.
Another benefit of drinking watermelon juice or water is that they regulate the acidity levels of your urine.
- If you choose to drink watermelon juice for kidney pain, it’s best to consume it fresh and in small amounts, because it’s high in sugar.
- Ideally, you should combine a third of a cup of watermelon juice with two-thirds of water, or add it to your smoothies.
Other tips for kidney pain
In addition to the beverages listed above, there are additional steps you should consider. The most important one is to visit your doctor.
It’s not normal to experience kidney pain, and if it has lasted for more than a few days it’s best to rule out any serious problem.