Grapefruit is a fruit that has excellent qualities for your health. It is an amazing source of vitamins that make it absolutely essential for your daily diet. But even more so, if you want to lose weight with grapefruit, they have the ability to block the enzymes involved in the accumulation of fat: they burn and eliminate them.
Even if you eat just one grapefruit a day, it will give you multiple benefits for your health and nutrition. It not only keeps colds and flus away, but also improves your circulation, prevents certain types of cancer, and if you eat it a certain way, it will help you lose a couple pounds. Here is why.
Properties of Grapefruit
As an essential source of vitamin C, nutritionists say that drinking a glass of grapefruit or lemon a day will help you have a better quality of life. This is an essential formula that will cleanse your body and prevent various diseases. Let’s look at it in detail:
- Essential source of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and E.
- Strengthens blood vessels.
- Improves varicose veins.
- Rich in vitamin C, betacarotene, and bioflavonoids.
- Improves circulatory problems.
- Protects you from cancer risks.
- Reduces cholesterol.
- Eliminates toxins and improves digestive and kidney functioning.
- Improves inflammation of the prostate.
- Ideal for strengthening nails and hair.
- Stimulates the production of white blood cells.
- Eliminates intestinal parasites.
- Regulates tension.
By eating a half of a grapefruit for example, you will consume over 150 phytonutrients. The majority of these are flavonoids, which will thus strengthen your heart. Some more examples of its benefits are the following facts. If you eat 150 grams of grapefruit you will get:
- Calories: 60.
- Fat: 0 gr.
- Sodium: 0 mg.
- Carbohydrates: 16 gr.
- Fiber: 6 gr.
- Sugar: 10 gr.
- Protein: 1 gr.
The key to losing weight with grapefruit are essentially based on its satisfying property. It is also very diuretic and will enable you to burn and eliminate fat. However, it is a semi-fasting diet, which means you cannot stay on this diet for more than three or four days because you are basically just going to eat grapefruit juice and salads. Therefore, for these three days you will be burning fat but your nutrition will be incomplete: you won’t be getting a good amount of iron, calcium, or any necessary nutrients. This is why you should only do it for a few days. Nonetheless, you can lose a few pounds quickly.
An Example of the Diet’s Menu
- Breakfast: Half a grapefruit. Coffe or tea (with no sugar).
- Lunch: Grapefruit juice. 1 cooked egg. A rocket, lettuce, tomato, and cucumber salad. Use a little bit of lemon for dressing. Whole wheat toast and a slice of pineapple for dessert.
- Dinner: Half a grapefruit. A lettuce salad with apple vinegar dressing. 150 grams of grilled turkey breast.
- Breakfast: Half a grapefruit and chamomile tea.
- Lunch: A glass of grapefruit juice. A spinach and walnut salad. Cooked white rice with a little bit of olive oil. A few small slices of papaya for dessert.
- Dinner: A glass of grapefruit juice. 150 grams of baked salmon. A tomato salad. A slice of pineapple.
- Breakfast: Half a grapefruit. A cup of coffee or tea.
- Lunch: A glass of grapefruit juice. Baked eggplant. Whole wheat fast with a little bit of olive oil. An apple.
- Dinner: A glass of grapefruit juice. A lettuce, spinach, walnut, and turkey breast salad, with lemon as a dressing. Papaya juice.
You should drink at least two liters of water a day with this diet. Grapefruit is very diuretic and you will need to be continuously hydrated. If you are hungry between meals, have an apple. It will leave you satisfied and it is very healthy as well. But this is a very restrictive diet and you shouldn’t follow it for a long time because you won’t be getting the necessary nutrients for your body. But you can do it two times a month, for example. You will see obvious results.