Reduce Skin Discoloration With These 5 Homemade Masks
Melasma is a dark colored patch or discoloration that often forms on a large area of the face due to changes in melanin production. It’s an aesthetic problem that has people wondering how they can reduce skin discoloration.
It’s very common in women of childbearing age, because it has a strong link to higher estrogen and progesterone levels. This has led some people to start calling it the “pregnancy mask,” since it’s common during and after pregnancy.
Although it isn’t a serious health risk, it doesn’t like nice and can cause self-esteem issues for people with it. Luckily, there are several low cost, all-natural treatments that can reduce skin discoloration, leaving your face with a healthy, uniform tone.
Up next, we’ll share 5 great at-home facial mask options that you can incorporate into your beauty routine. Read on to learn more!
1. Banana and yogurt mask to reduce skin discoloration
This banana and yogurt facial is an easy home remedy that helps to decrease the dark spots that make up melasma.
Most importantly, it contains lactic acid and antioxidant substances that, when absorbed, stimulates cellular activity to promote the natural repair of tissues.
You might like:
How to Treat Dry Skin for Once and for All
- 1 ripe banana
- 5 tablespoons plain yogurt (90 g)
- Mash a ripe banana with a fork. After you’ve gotten a smooth puree, mix well with the natural yogurt.
- Spread the mask all over your face and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Next, rinse and repeat at least 3 times per week.
2. Parsley and lemon mask
A mixture of parsley and lemon creates a lightening lotion with exfoliating properties that can improve the appearance of patchy colored skin.
These ingredients provide essential antioxidants and minerals that regulate the melanin production to prevent skin darkening and discoloration.
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 3 tablespoons of parsley leaves and stems (30 g)
- 6 tablespoons of rose water (60 ml)
- Extract the juice from half a lemon and mix it in a blender with parsley and rose water.
- The mixture should have a liquid consistency.
- Rub the lotion over the stained areas of the face and let it act for 20 minutes.
- Remove the product with warm water. Use 3 times per week.
- Keep in mind that you should only use it at nigh because it can leave the skin sensitive to the sun.
3. Grape and vitamin E mask
An organic grape and vitamin E mask gives the skin a wide variety of nutrients that help it regenerate.
Especially helpful are the antioxidants and natural oils in this mask. They act as whitening agents to significantly reduce skin discoloration on the face.
Plus, since it can cushion cells from damage, its great for preventing premature aging.
- 6 ripe grapes
- 1 vitamin E capsule
- Cut the grapes in half, take out the seeds, and put the grapes in a blender. Add the contents of the vitamin E capsule.
- Mix until you get a creamy paste.
- Rub the mask over your face with gentle, circular movements and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and repeat 3 times per week.
4. Eggplant and honey mask
The nutrients in an eggplant not only prevent internal health problems but also improve the condition of your skin.
When you combine eggplant with all the fantastic properties found in honey, we get an exfoliating and lightening mask that significantly reduces skin discoloration.
- ½ eggplant
- 3 tablespoons of honey (75 g)
- Extract the pulp from half of the eggplant. Next, combine with honey in a blender.
- Mix the ingredients until you have a thick paste.
- Apply the eggplant mask all over the face, especially where the spots are located.
- Then, let the mask sit for 20 minutes. Finally, rinse thoroughly.
- Repeat this facial treatment 2 or 3 times per week.
5. Almond flour and coconut oil mask
An all-natural almond and coconut oil scrub can help remove impurities from the face to promote oxygenation and repair.
These ingredients contain essential fatty acids and antioxidants that reduce skin discoloration once they’re absorbed.
- 2 tablespoons of almond flour (20 g)
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil (45 g)
- Combine the almond flour with the coconut oil until the mixture takes on a creamy consistency.
- Apply the mask all over the face and let it work for 30 minutes.
- Next, wash the skin with warm water and circular massaging motions to completely remove the mask.
- Repeat application 3 times per week.
Do you worry about the dark spots on your skin? Just prepare these natural remedies at home and get ready to never waste money on costly creams again!
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Rendon, M., Berneburg, M., Arellano, I., & Picardo, M. (2006). Treatment of melasma. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2005.12.039
- Miot, L. D. B., Miot, H. A., Silva, M. G. Da, & MarquesAlencar, M. E. (2009). Physiopathology of melasma. Anais Brasileiros de Dermatologia. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0365-05962009000600008
- Rivas, S., & Pandya, A. G. (2013). Treatment of melasma with topical agents, peels and lasers: An evidence-based review. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/deu161