Why and How to Lower Your Body’s pH Levels
An alkaline pH is synonymous with health, which is why you should try to balance your pH levels so that it's not so acidic. That way, you can improve your well-being!
Our personal pH level can be much more important than what it seems.
It is what determines whether your body is in a healthy state or a state of alkalinity.
Bacteria and microorganisms need an acidic pH to develop, which is why it’s vital to avoid it.
Everything that we eat and drink affects our pH. Some foods make us more acidic, while others make us more alkaline.
In general, foods from animals such as meat and dairy products are acidic, while plant based foods such as fruits and vegetables are alkaline.
However, environmental factors also play an important role.
Cleaning products such as soap, detergents, air fresheners, glass cleaner, and other types of cleaning products all contain chemicals that are toxic to the body and contribute to acidity.
You can find out the level of acidity in your body.
What is pH?
For those who wonder what pH consists of it is worth stating that the letters mean ‘potential hydrogen,’ which is a measurement of the hydrogen ions in the body.
- pH levels go from 1 to 14, with 1 being more acidic, 7 neutral, and 14 the most alkaline.
- The amount of pH that is ideal is 7, 3 to 7.45, which is slightly basic or alkaline.
Due to factors having to do with nutrition, above all, the excessive consumption of processed foods and environments rich in chemicals, our body tends to be to more acidic.
How to Measure pH
You can measure the pH level of your skin by means of strips that you can find at a pharmacy.
- To do so, put the strip in your mouth so that it makes contact with your saliva for two to three seconds.
- After the time indicated, compare it to the color table provided to see what the level is.
- It is recommended to do it first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking, since food and drink can alter the pH levels in saliva.
Another way to measure pH is through urine, and again it should be done in the morning.
- The first reading can generally be a little more acidic since the body is cleaning the acid while we are sleeping at night. So, it would be best to use the second urine of the day.
Why is it Important to Know Your pH Levels
pH readings are a big indicator of the state of health of our body.
Some illnesses and disorders that are related to excessive acidity include:
- Migraines and morning dizziness
- Arthritis, osteoporosis, and gout
How to eliminate acidic pH to be more Alkaline
There are many ways to eliminate an acidic pH and make it more alkaline.
Two of the simplest and most effective daily methods to make your pH level more alkaline are:
- Mix the juice of one lemon in a glass of warm water and drink it first thing in the morning.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (2g) to a glass of water and drink.
We can also opt for one of the following alternatives:
Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables
- Eat more plant based foods, and if consuming animal products, opt only for those from grass-fed animals.
- Include barley, cayenne, chlorella algae, and spirulina to your diet.
- Have a diet rich in vegetables and nourishing and alkaline fruits. Green juices are a quick and easy way to get all the nutrients out of vegetables.
Avoid sugar and processed or fried foods
- Sugar, as well as processed and fried foods, elevate the acidic levels in the body. Instead, opt for natural sweeteners and other methods of cooking.
Drink good quality water
- Both in cleaning our home and cleaning our bodies, we should avoid commercial products.
- Use natural cleaning ingredients such as vinegar and diluted apple cider vinegar.
When it comes to shampoos, shower gels, toothpaste, and other personal hygiene products, try to use ones that are ecologically friendly.
Commercial products are made with chemicals and are full of toxins that can make the body more acidic.