Stimulate Your Brain Function with Turmeric, Honey, and Cinnamon
Often, when it comes to diet, the needs of the brain aren’t always met, even though it’s an organ that requires high doses of energy. However, among the essential keys to enhance brain function, eating a varied, balanced, and complete diet stands out.
For example, foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids are very important to a healthy and agile brain. Other essential compounds are antioxidants and certain elements contained in spices like cinnamon and turmeric.
You may be using cinnamon and turmeric in combination with foods that are unhealthy or even harmful to brain function.
Cinnamon is a very common ingredient in a variety of pastries and desserts. Although it tastes amazing, you have to consider that, if you mix it with a lot of sugar and white flour, you end up hindering the processes that optimize blood flow to your brain.
The brain needs a lot of energy. Therefore, it’s essential to follow an adequate diet and stay hydrated, among other good lifestyle habits.
Cinnamon and turmeric for the brain, a mixture with potential
According to data from the Spanish Nutrition Foundation (FEN):
- Cinnamon contains protein, iron, calcium, zinc, potassium, selenium, vitamins B6, C, phenols, and aldehydes.
- Turmeric is rich in antioxidants, sugars, proteins, and resins.
Therefore, experts consider that these two spices could help activate brain function. To do this, we propose using them together in a natural drink.
You should incorporate this drink into your diet in moderation and always after consulting your doctor, since cinnamon is contraindicated in some cases and you have to be careful.
You should remember that, above all, a healthy brain needs daily stimuli, regular physical activity, and a varied and balanced diet.
We now know that chronic and mild inflammation is related to several different degenerative diseases. The brain and its function isn’t immune to these ailments.
Diseases like Alzheimer’s and dementia are related to this problem that affects a good part of the population. Inflammation can also lead to vascular problems, which impede proper circulation that supplies oxygen and nutrients to the brain.
This cinnamon, honey, and turmeric drink has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antioxidant properties.
Discover: 7 Foods that Improve Your Mood
It may help fight neurodegenerative processes
You’ll be happy to hear that science has already shown that cinnamon is a great natural stimulant for your brain.
We know, for example, that once it’s been metabolized by your body, this spice is capable of destroying sodium benzoate, a type of acid that interferes with and hinders communication between cells in the brain.
Likewise, cinnamon, when combined with turmeric, also acts as a powerful antioxidant that’s capable of protecting you from some of the damaging effects of free radicals. This helps you face the passage of time in a healthier way, keeping your cognitive processes in good health for longer.
It may stimulate the production of dopamine and serotonin
Cinnamon, along with turmeric, can improve brain function by stimulating the receptors of two very powerful neurotransmitters: serotonin and dopamine.
- These substances trigger emotions that make you feel more positive, active, curious, and energetic.
- They’re your natural motivators, a cerebral “drug” without negative effects that provides you with the desire to do things, relate to others, and take on new goals.
Turmeric, cinnamon, and honey drink recipe
- 1 cup of water (250 ml).
- 1 teaspoon of honey (7.5 g).
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric (2.5 g)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (5 g).
- Start out as usual by heating the cup of water. When it comes to a boil, add the ground cinnamon and turmeric.
- Let this simmer for 15 minutes. After that, let it steep for another 10 minutes.
- Strain and keep the water.
- Pour it into your favorite mug and stir the teaspoon of honey in.
- It tastes great. It’s a good idea to consume this remedy on a regular basis.
- You can enjoy it with your breakfast or just after your main meal of the day.
How much to drink to stimulate brain function?
It’s believed that just one tablespoon of honey a day is enough to keep the brain healthy. If you like this option, incorporate it into your diet as well, but remember that you have other options, such as the drink we shared in this article.
Always keep in mind that honey is a food rich in calories. Therefore, you should always consume it in moderation. Otherwise, while providing energy, it can also contribute to weight gain.
On the other hand, don’t forget to consult with your doctor about the consumption of spices such as cinnamon and ginger, as they’e contraindicated in some cases.
Maintain good lifestyle habits and, above all, eat healthy to have a more awake and receptive brain.It might interest you...