Peruvian Pumpkin Mazamorra Recipe
Pumpkin mazamorra is a dessert of Peruvian origin that has excellent organoleptic characteristics and can be simply prepared at home, with few ingredients. It’s an alternative to traditional desserts that can be included occasionally in the diet, although you shouldn’t overdo it, as it concentrates a high amount of sugar.
Before starting, we should emphasize that the consumption of simple sugar becomes much less problematic when it’s introduced in the context of a healthy life. If regular exercise is practiced, you’ll be much less likely to develop metabolic disorders, such as type 2 diabetes.
Pumpkin mazamorra ingredients
To prepare an exquisite pumpkin mazamorra, the following ingredients will be necessary:
- Place the pumpkin pulp in a pot. To do so, you’ll need to cut it into pieces first.
- Also add the cinnamon, the chancaca cut in two, and the cloves.
- Start cooking over low heat for 20 minutes and, after this time, stir with a wooden spoon so that the ingredients are well integrated.
- Add the 100 grams (4 oz) of wheat flour dissolved in water and then mix thoroughly.
- Pour in the jar of milk and continue cooking and stirring.
- Taste to check the sweetness and, if necessary, add more sugar.
- Continue cooking for a few more minutes over low heat until it’s ready.
Another great recipe from South America: Recipe of Panamanian Chocao, a Delicious Dessert Made with Bananas
Benefits of pumpkin mazamorra
It’s possible to experience several benefits from the consumption of pumpkin mazamorra. However, to get these benefits, this dessert has to be included in the context of a varied and balanced diet. A deficit of essential micronutrients should be avoided in order to prevent changes in the normal functioning of your body. Because of this, you’ll need to ensure you include many different foods in your diet.
It can improve the functioning of the immune system
Pumpkin is a vegetable that stands out for its concentration in vitamin C. This nutrient has the ability to improve the functioning of the immune system.
It can stimulate adaptive and innate immune function, according to research published in the journal Nutrients. It’s important to maintain the levels of this element in an adequate range to reduce the incidence of infectious diseases.
Moreover, it not only reduces the development of these diseases, but also improves the body’s ability to control the symptoms. Symptoms become less intense and the duration of the illness is shorter. As a result, an increased sense of well-being is experienced.
You may also be interested in: A Healthy Lemon Pie Dessert
Helps to facilitate transit
Mazamorra is a preparation that provides a significant amount of fiber. It’s a substance that has proven to be fundamental in stimulating transit and preventing constipation. It can also promote the growth of bacteria that inhabit the body and benefits the microbiota.
There’s even evidence to support the power of fiber in reducing the risk of developing complex pathologies associated with the digestive tract, such as colon cancer. Toxins will be efficiently cleaned from the intestinal walls, which helps to maintain homeostasis in the internal environment.
Can improve sports performance
It shouldn’t be forgotten that this dessert is a source of energy. The carbohydrates it provides are one of the preferred energy substrates when carrying out high-intensity activities. For this reason, it’s a good option for athletes, especially if they consume it before exercise.
If consumed after a competition, pumpkin mazamorra will help to efficiently replenish glycogen deposits. However, it’s a good idea to accompany this dessert with some food with proteins of high biological value to stimulate this physiological process.
Prepare pumpkin mazamorra at home
As you have seen, preparing pumpkin mazamorra at home is simple and affordable. Few ingredients are needed and the result is fantastic. In addition, it doesn’t have as much added sugar as some other desserts. This doesn’t mean that it has low carbohydrates, as the pumpkin naturally contains these nutrients.
Finally, keep in mind that to maintain a good state of health it’s necessary to combine a series of appropriate habits. Among them, regular physical exercise is vital, prioritizing above all strength work. Also, frequent exposure to sunlight is essential to stimulate the synthesis of vitamin D, an essential nutrient for controlling inflammatory mechanisms.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Carr, A. C., & Maggini, S. (2017). Vitamin C and Immune Function. Nutrients, 9(11), 1211. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9111211
- Gianfredi, V., Salvatori, T., Villarini, M., Moretti, M., Nucci, D., & Realdon, S. (2018). Is dietary fibre truly protective against colon cancer? A systematic review and meta-analysis. International journal of food sciences and nutrition, 69(8), 904–915. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637486.2018.1446917
- Vriesman, M. H., Koppen, I., Camilleri, M., Di Lorenzo, C., & Benninga, M. A. (2020). Management of functional constipation in children and adults. Nature reviews. Gastroenterology & hepatology, 17(1), 21–39. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41575-019-0222-y