Oatmeal: A Natural Remedy for Anxiety
In addition to relieving anxiety, oatmeal helps balance and stabilize blood sugar levels. It's ideal for avoiding mood swings.
Anxiety is a negative emotional state and can sometimes be incapacitating, affecting millions of people around the world both temporarily and chronic. What’s the best way to deal with it? Pharmaceuticals, as you already know, are a recognized remedy for anxiety.
However, medication is not always the best option. Every individual is a unique case with different characteristics and chemical compounds will not always be able to resolve the problem.
The biggest secret to dealing with anxiety is proper daily emotional management. Knowing how to prioritize, set limits and being the protagonist in your own life is vital to allow you to be a little happier and to enjoy your personal space.
A good psychological approach and the support of the natural remedies at our disposal will always be the best choice. Then, if the problem with anxiety persists, you should seek professional help and follow the prescribed guidelines.
Your day to day physical and emotional health is really important, that’s why we’d like to talk to you about how oatmeal can help treat your anxiety. Let’s take a look together.
Oatmeal for treating the physical symptoms of anxiety
According to the American Society of Depression and Anxiety, many people suffer from anxiety in silence and never seek professional help. In the majority of cases, the emotional state is temporary and can be dealt with by making changes or approaching things differently.
However, when the anxiety goes from temporary to chronic, it becomes a health risk. Your health begins to suffer starting with typical hypertension, irregular heartbeat, and dizziness, all potentially dangerous conditions.
Whether taking medication or implementing psychological strategies to control anxiety, the carbohydrates from whole grains can help reduce the symptoms, according to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.
- The carbohydrates found in oatmeal help increase levels of serotonin (a neurotransmitter) in the brain.
- Serotonin has a calming effect on the brain and body to relieve feelings of anxiety, nervousness, and even insomnia.
- We should avoid refined carbohydrates, like those found in white bread, white sugar, white rice (whole grains are always better to combat anxiety). These foods cause a spike in blood sugar levels, which provide a temporary increase in energy then leave you feeling tired.
Oatmeal is considered a “superfood”, something that you should include in your family’s diet. Discover 10 Unbelievable Benefits of Oatmeal and a Breakfast Recipe.
- Thanks to the dietary fiber in oatmeal, it provides the body with a constant level of energy due to its slow absorption.
- Oatmeal also helps stabilize blood sugar levels. No ups and downs, which helps balance the body.
- Oatmeal regulates the nervous system by helping the brain secrete proper levels of serotonin, which is ideal for relaxation and avoiding mood swings.
- It’s important that the oatmeal you eat be totally organic and natural and not enriched with sugar or you’ll lose its benefits. You can buy organic oatmeal in health food stores, and although it may cost a little more, the investment is worth it.
A healthy way to eat oatmeal to reduce anxiety
This is a fresh and delicious way to enjoy oatmeal and is a great remedy for anxiety. You can have it every morning for breakfast.
However, keep in mind that even though oatmeal is a supplement for dealing with anxiety and increases levels of serotonin in the blood, you still must adopt some basic psychological strategies like relaxation and exercising. You need to prioritize your life. You’re most important!
Take down this natural recipe to treat anxiety with oatmeal.
Natural Oatmeal and Pear Smoothie
What do I need?
- 1 ripe pear
- ½ cup organic oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- It’s really easy. First peel the pear and cut it into smaller chunks to put in the blender.
- Add the water, pear chunks and oatmeal to the blender and liquefy.
- Drizzle with the tablespoon of honey. If you want, serve cold with two ice cubes. It’s delicious!