How to Relieve Joint Pain at Night
Stretching is a really effective way to relieve joint pain at night. If the pain affects the hands, try knitting to mobilize the fingers.
If you suffer from arthritis, then you’ve surely spent a few sleepless nights due to the pain. Keep reading to find out how to help relieve joint pain at night.
Nocturnal joint pain is a common complaint and another cause of insomnia. Why does this happen? Is there any way to effectively relieve the pain?
First off, we need to make something clear: there is often no cure for arthritis pain. According to the Arthritis Foundation, effective treatments exist to relieve joint pain and offer a better quality of life, but the pain is irreversible.
To increase your day-to-day well being, and above all, help relieve joint pain at night, follow these simple tips.
1. Why is joint pain more intense at night?
During the day, you’re moving around, picking up things, climbing stairs, you’re in motion…
All this activity makes the joint “hot”, and although you may feel some pain, it’s at night when you’re not moving that the pain is more pronounced.
You’ve probably heard of adrenal fatigue, also known as chronic fatigue. It has to do with the adrenal glands and stimulation of the nervous system that causes pain, fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, lack of appetite…
This discomfort is associated with the fact that the pain is more intense at night.
Arthritis is a type of chronic pain that especially affects women. We recommend seeking natural treatments to relieve it.
If the majority of your day is filled with tension, worry, anxiety and stress that you cannot manage in a healthy way, all of this will raise the level of cortisol in your blood.
As you already know, it’s been found that compounds in the foods we eat every day not only cause inflammation but also cause toxins to be stored in the body.
One of the causes of arthritis is the infection produced by certain outside agents that enter the body and weaken the immune system.
If you’re eating an unhealthy diet, full of fats, sugars, and processed foods, it increases pain and inflammation, especially at the end of the day.
Sedentary lifestyle and immobility
If you spend the whole day on the couch or think that it’s best to keep the joint still all day, it’s likely that when night comes the pain will be unbearable.
The reason? When the joints are immobile, rigidity and stiffness set in. If you practice simple stretching exercises in the morning and at night, you’ll minimize the pain. It’s worth it!
Also read: Ginger Remedy for Joint Pain
Tips to relieve joint pain at night
Although the causes of arthritis can be numerous, one way to achieve a better quality of life is through nutrition.
A proper diet will allow you to rebuild cartilage, nourish bones and avoid inflammation.
Simple remedies like drinking ginger tea every day or opting for fruit and fresh foods over pre-cooked meals are small yet effective habits you can put into practice.
Here are some of the best foods:
- Olive oil
- Red grapes
- Dark chocolate
- Brussel sprouts
- Egg yolks
- Brown rice
- Cereals enriched with vitamin D
2. Hot cold therapy
One hour before going to bed, prepare the following:
- A bag of ice cubes.
- A tub of hot water (not boiling) with 3 sprigs of rosemary.
- Apply the ice bag to the affected area for 20 seconds.
- Then, submerge the joint if possible in the tub of hot water.
- Repeat these steps 5 times and watch the pain go away.
Visit this article: Dark Chocolate and its 10 Best Benefits
3. The best natural pain reliever
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- It’s easy. Just boil the water and add the ginger and honey. Let cook for 15 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
When should I drink it?
- Once at breakfast and once before going to bed.
4. Small stretches before bed
- If you gently exercise the affected joints, both the cartilage and the joint itself will be less stiff and cramped.
- One effective way to relieve joint pain is to knit if arthritis affects your hands and fingers, or you can stretch both your legs if your knees are bothering you. You can put small weights around your ankles and lift each leg 5 times. You’ll notice the relief at bedtime.