Practical Uses for Orange And Banana Peels
We all tend to throw out the peels from fruits such as bananas and oranges because we don’t realize that they have a ton of beneficial properties that we could easily be taking advantage of.
Traditionally, we think of this part of the fruit as waste because it has a yucky flavor and, at first glance, it doesn’t seem to be good for anything else.
However, banana and orange peels have more properties and uses than you could possibly imagine.
Since you are surely one of those millions of people that keep throwing out their banana and orange peels, we’re here to share some great information with you which will make you think twice before throwing these elements in the trash.
Would you like to know what they’re good for?
Ideally, you should buy organic oranges so that you can reduce the number of pesticides that you end up consuming. This type of orange is grown with fewer pesticides than conventional oranges, making it much healthier for you.
Either way, to get rid of any pesticide residue, just wash your oranges with a tablespoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of vinegar dissolved in one cup of water.
Read also: Healthy Desserts: Three Regret-free Desserts
Many nutrients in fruits are stored in their peels. Just one orange has approximately different 60 flavonoids and 170 phytonutrients that are great for your health, skin, and different household chores.
Uses for orange peels
- Orange peels have a number of properties that help improve your digestion and stimulate your metabolism. They help to naturally get rid of gas, heartburn, vomiting, and acid reflux. They are also great for stimulating your appetite and alleviating nausea.
- You can consume powdered orange peel to take advantage of its expectorant properties, which can help you get rid of phlegm in your respiratory system, as well as reduce the effects of a cough and asthma.
- The main benefits of orange peel occur as a result of an essential oil called “D-limonene,” which is both anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory. This essential oil helps to neutralize stomach acid and boost intestinal activity.
- Orange peels have properties that help reduce cholesterol, triglycerides and support normal liver function. They also have a flavonoid known as hesperidin, which is an effective way to prevent colon cancer and osteoporosis.
- In terms of beauty, you can use orange peels to exfoliate your skin and get rid of dead cells that may end up leading to more blackheads and pimples.
- Orange peels help reduce the appearance of scars or marks on the skin.
- Thanks to their anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties, orange peels can help you combat acne.
Read also: Try These Two Orange Cake Recipes with Healthy Ingredients
Banana peels have antioxidant properties, as well as vitamins and minerals that can help you fight a number of health problems and other illnesses.
Coming up, we’ll point out a few of their main uses. If you know more, we’d love you to share them with us.
Uses for banana peels
- They help to filter the water in your body since they are great at absorbing lead and copper.
- You can rub a banana peel on your skin to get rid of the itching caused by insect bites.
- Banana peels have regenerative properties that help speed up the healing process for superficial wounds.
- You can rub a banana peel on your teeth for two minutes every two days to help whiten them within a few weeks.
- Banana peels are great for combatting and preventing the appearance of warts. Just rub a bit of banana peel on your wart each day and you’ll see impressive results over time.
- If you end up with scratches or superficial wounds on your skin, just rub a bit of banana peel on the affected area to speed up the healing process.
- To treat acne and the swelling in the skin caused by this condition, rub a banana peel on the affected area every night.
- Although it may seem hard to believe, banana peels can also help reduce the effect of headaches. Just lay a piece of banana peel across your forehead and relax.
- To help prevent early wrinkling, regularly rub a banana peel over all of your skin.
- Banana peels are also great for polishing furniture. However, you should note that after you are done rubbing the banana peel on the furniture, you should wipe it down with a cotton cloth.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
Pathak, P. D., Mandavgane, S. A., & Kulkarni, B. D. (2017). Fruit Peel Waste:Characterization and its Potential Uses. Current Science. https://doi.org/10.18520/cs/v113/i03/444-454