Did you think that this citrus fruit only worked as an ingredient in the kitchen? Well, the truth is that many housewives in the past (like our mothers or grandmothers) used lemon to clean their houses. Find out how to clean your home with lemon juice in the following article.
Uses for Lemon Juice when Cleaning your House
Lemon has very interesting properties when it comes to eliminating germs on almost all surfaces of the kitchen, the bathroom, the living room and the bedroom. For instance, the utensils or tools you use to prepare your meals can be cleaned perfectly by using lemon juice and the best part is that you do not have to use cleaning chemicals that can harm your health and damage the environment.
Do not hesitate to use these homemade recipes to clean your home with lemon juice, especially when they are made with an element that is so versatile and that has the ability to eliminate foul odors and bacteria. Some of the most common uses to clean your home with lemon juice are:
- Half of a lemon with salt help to clean old bronze and copper antiques or pieces such as pots or decorations.
- Lemon cleans the spots and stains off of cutting boards and eliminates the germs left behind when cutting or preparing raw meat. All you have to do is rub half of a lemon on it, allow it to set overnight and clean it off the next morning. You can do the same thing with your grill or barbecue.
- Get rid of odors in the microwave by placing placing 3/4 cup of water with a few teaspoons of lemon juice in the microwave and heating it until it boils. Do not open the microwave door for 10 minutes, then remove microwave filth with a dry cloth.
- Eliminate spots and odors from plastic containers with tops. Soak them in water with lemon juice and add baking soda, rub, rinse and dry well.
- If your polyester or cotton clothing gets stained by rust, lemon juice will get rid of the stain. Make a paste with the lemon juice and add cream of tartar. Rub this paste on the stain and allow it to set for thirty minutes. Wash as usual.
- Disinfect the garbage disposal or the trash bin. Pour one liter of hot water with half of a cup of lemon juice into the garbage disposal or in the trash can. At the same time, this mixture helps to unclog the pipes if it is mixed with baking soda.
- Eliminate odors in the refrigerator by placing half of one lemon inside it and changing it once per week. This also helps to take away the odor that remains on your hands after preparing certain foods like fish (dilute warm water with lemon juice and submerge your hands in this liquid for several minutes).
- Lemon juice also helps to get rid of oil or fat stains on clothing by rubbing the stains with lemon juice and allowing it to set overnight.
- Mirrors and windows can be constantly shiny if you mix several tablespoons of lemon juice with water in a blender. You can also use vinegar for this.
- If you have bought new earrings, you can disinfect them by placing them in a container with lemon juice for several hours.
- Soap residue and scum accumulate on shower doors. Get rid of it with a half of one lemon that you should rub on the shower doors and walls habitually before cleaning.
- The accumulation of minerals in the kettle, the tea pot or the coffee maker can also be eliminated by using lemon juice. Place a few slices of lemon in your tea pot or coffee maker and add water. Allow them to soak for two hours, rinse and dry.
- To get your whites to really shine, add half of a cup of lemon juice to your washer together with detergent and softener.
- You can also clean your oven by mixing lemon with baking soda. Rub this mixture onto the inside of your oven and allow it to set for about 15 minutes. Clean it off with a clean cloth. This also has good results when used to clean the toilet and the bathroom sink.
- Wooden furniture can have an exceptional shine if you mix mineral oil with one tablespoon of lemon in a spray bottle. Apply using a soft cloth.
Clean your Water Taps with Lemon Juice
This is one of the many uses of lemon for cleaning your home. It is a simple, cheap and ecologically friendly treatment. The first thing you must do is juice one lemon and pour the juice through a fine colander to get rid of the pulp and seeds. Next, wet a cotton cloth with this juice and use it to clean the water taps in the bathroom, the bathtub, the kitchen and the washing machine. This also helps to clean lime deposits and spots.
Allow this mixture to remain on these surfaces for about 10 minutes and then take the juice off with warm water or a moist cloth. If the water in your house is very hard, you can add a bit of vinegar to obtain better results. At the same time, you can use a “deeper cleaning” technique by rubbing half of a lemon directly on to the taps, cleaning them later with a wet cloth.
How to Eliminate Odors from your Closet with Lemon
If you have fungus or mold growing in your closet, you can use lemon to get rid of it. This is because lemon juice is a natural air freshener that helps to get rid of the problem at its root and care for your health at the same time. Cut two lemons in half and extract the juice and put it into a spray bottle. Add the same amount of water as lemon juice and mix well. Spray this mixture in an area of your closet that has mold. You do not have to soak it, just moisten it a bit. Allow it to work for several hours. If the odor remains, repeat the procedure.
Images courtesy of Kirsten Loza, Essie, Leslie Seaton, debaird, Thomas Rousing, Amy Stephenson.