Five Mistakes You Make When Washing Your Face
Taking care of your skin is an easy task that can guarantee that you’ll have young-looking skin for years. However, it’s possible that you don’t pay enough attention to washing your face.
In this article, we want to share facial care mistakes that people make that make your skin look older. Maybe you’ll understand why wrinkles and spots are starting to appear when you didn’t know why.
Are you ready?
1. You don’t bother yourself with cleaning your face
The simplest mistake is to not clean your face. You might think that it’s not a big problem to go to bed just as you are when you get home. After all, you’ll shower the next morning. You’ll get rid of the dirt then, right?
However, the problem is that sleeping like that makes your makeup, pollution, and dirt build up on your face and block pores. This makes it easy for acne to appear. This is how the first wrinkles and imperfections start to appear.
It’s recommended that you clean your skin approximately every 10 hours. This would be more or less in the morning and at night.
You don’t need to make it complicated. You just need to was your face well with a mild soap and water. If you prefer something more hydrating, try this spray:
- 1/2 cup of chamomile tea
- 2 tablespoons of cucumber water
- 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- Mix all of the ingredients and store it in a bottle with a spray head.
- When you’re going to clean your face, apply enough of the spray. Then, clean with circular movements with the help of a cotton ball.
- Finish by washing with a little of fresh water and then go to bed. You’ll notice smoother, healthier, and perfect skin the next morning.
2. You never use an exfoliant
Before we said that the most common mistake was not taking off your makeup. But this is just the first step. Exfoliants get rid of toxins and dirt that build up in the deepest levels of your skin.
Ideally, you should use an exfoliant with your skin type on mind. This will help you clean your skin and fight the most common problems.
- For sensitive skin, you need to apply gentle, moisturizing exfoliants.
- If your skin is oily, it’s necessary to use exfoliants that control this problem without dehydrating your skin.
When talking about frequency, it’s a good idea to apply an exfoliant once per week. This way, you’ll deeply clean without getting rid of your skin’s natural oils. Only in extreme cases is it necessary to apply an exfoliant 2 times per week.
Finally, we recommend that you choose natural exfoliants for cleaning your face.
3. You only wash your face once per day
Even if you removed all of your makeup and washed your face the night before, you need to wash your face every morning. Keep in mind that while you sleep, there are bacteria that are growing in your skin. Also, there are mites and detergent residues in your bed and pollutants in the air.
To keep these things from being a problem, you should wash your face with soap and water along with the cleansing spray we mentioned before.
If your skin is very oily or if you’ve gone to the gym, you also need to wash your face to get rid of residue buildup.
If your skin is very dry, apply a little hydrating cream instead of washing your face so that you don’t make your problem worse.
4. You change products quickly
If you’re frustrated because none of the products that you’re using are cleaning your face and making you look better, you might be making this mistake.
Unfortunately, we are usually desperate and we want to look perfect in just a few minutes. However, both commercial products and homemade ones require several applications before you start to the change you want.
The minimum amount of time that you need to wait to see these changes is 4 weeks. However, you’ll see real changes in 6 weeks. Also, you need to consider the fact that you need to do this constantly.
If you apply a cleaning gel for a week to reduce the size of your pores and then you change products, you may never see the result. Let your skin adapt to the product and you’ll really start to benefit from it.
5. You use too many products at the same time
What is your beauty routine? Maybe you think that cleaning your face with several products will improve your results. But this is wrong. You need to choose one product for each of your needs.
When you sue several products for the same problem, you’ll irritate your skin. This makes problems worse that what you already have because you’re creating more. If you choose to use a cleansing tonic, don’t use a soap or a cream.
This will also help you save money. This is because you’ll only have to buy two or three products.
Now that you know, tell us what mistakes you make when you clean your face!
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Tiwle, D. K. S. and R. (2016). Formulation and characterization of herbal face wash/scruber. European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research.
- Gabel, S. L. (2001). “I wash my face with dirty water”: Narratives of disability and pedagogy. Journal of Teacher Education. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022487101052001004
- McCauley, A. P., Lynch, M., Pounds, M. B., & West, S. (1990). Changing water-use patterns in a water-poor area: Lessons for a trachoma intervention project. Social Science and Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(90)90129-G
- Clínica Mayo. https://www.mayoclinic.org/es-es/diseases-conditions/acne/symptoms-causes/syc-20368047