10 Foods to Help Eliminate Wrinkles
Food doesn’t have super powerful properties to prevent or eliminate wrinkles. However, some, due to their nutritional quality, can contribute to delaying their appearance and improving skin health.
A study published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology concluded that eating habits are associated with facial wrinkles in women. Thus, having a healthy diet can help maintain youthful skin for longer.
Considering this, we decided to make a brief list of 10 foods that may help eliminate wrinkles. Both their consumption and external application can contribute to keeping the skin healthy and young. Keep them in mind!
Foods to help eliminate wrinkles: are they effective?
Something that you must keep in mind at all times is that food is only an aid in the prevention of wrinkles. While there are some that, in particular, have shown positive anti-aging effects, they can’t do much for the skin on their own.
Therefore, to prevent and reduce the presence of wrinkles, it’s essential to take into account other basic care, such as hydration, exfoliation, and cleaning. Likewise, you can consult your dermatologist to discover more effective anti-wrinkle methods.
Research on diet and skin aging
Nutrition has always been recognized as playing a leading role in skin health. Therefore, following a healthy diet, rich in micro and macronutrients, and moderate in calories, contributes to smooth, youthful, blemish-free skin.
When it comes to preventing aging, research has found that sources of antioxidants such as carotenoids, tocophenols, and flavonoids, as well as vitamins (A, C, D, and E), essential omega-3 fatty acids, some proteins, and lactobacilli have a positive effect.
Antioxidants, in particular, play the role of inhibiting the negative effects of oxidative stress, the main causes of premature cell aging. In addition, they stimulate cell regeneration and also have a protective effect against the sun’s rays.
For its part, as a review published in the Journal of Lifestyle Medicine states, nutrients such as vitamins C and E are essential for the collagen production, improve immune function, and have a photoprotective effect.
Meanwhile, findings published in the Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology suggest that lactobacilli, which are probiotic agents, have anti-aging effects on the skin and could help prevent and reduce wrinkles.
10 recommended foods to help eliminate wrinkles
Many foods may help eliminate wrinkles and the signs of aging. You can even try some as a mask. In any case, you must include them in a healthy and balanced diet, as this guarantees an optimal supply of all nutrients.
Considering the studies we mentioned above, we selected 10 top foods to consider.
- Melon. Rich in antioxidants and water. In a mask, it helps to hydrate the skin.
- Avocado. It contains protein, healthy fats, and antioxidants. As a mask, it hydrates and nourishes.
- Blueberries. They contain powerful antioxidants that help fight oxidative stress.
- Salmon. Rich in proteins and healthy fats, it’s an ideal food to take care of your skin from the inside out.
- Dark chocolate. Its proteins, fats, and antioxidants help protect the skin against the sun and free radicals.
- Plain yogurt. It’s a source of lactobacilli that help protect your skin inside and out. You can mix it with fruit and use it as a mask.
- Olive oil. Its healthy fats fight dryness and help remove dead cells.
- Strawberries. Eaten or applied to the skin, they provide beneficial vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Oats. In addition to giving you energy, oats are a great food to fight wrinkles. In addition, it’s suitable for sensitive skin.
- Honey. It fulfills several functions in the skin, in addition to preventing wrinkles. Applied externally, it favors wound healing, reduces scars, and minimizes the negative effects of the sun’s rays.
Discover: Different Types of Wrinkles
Eating healthy is beneficial for skin health
The list of foods against wrinkles is quite extensive. Therefore, there are many recipes you can make with them. In this sense, taking advantage of its benefits can be a really delicious task!
Although it’s true that food isn’t able to eliminate wrinkles completely, they do contribute greatly to skin health of the skin. Therefore, it’s worth always betting on a balanced diet, which includes the foods we recommended and others.
By eating healthy and maintaining other good habits, your skin health will improve and, with it, you’ll manage to mitigate.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Mekić, S., Jacobs, L. C., Hamer, M. A., Ikram, M. A., Schoufour, J. D., Gunn, D. A., … Nijsten, T. (2019). A healthy diet in women is associated with less facial wrinkles in a large Dutch population-based cohort. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2018.03.033
- Schagen SK, Zampeli VA, Makrantonaki E, Zouboulis CC. Discovering the link between nutrition and skin aging. Dermatoendocrinol. 2012;4(3):298–307. doi:10.4161/derm.22876
- Cho S. The Role of Functional Foods in Cutaneous Anti-aging. J Lifestyle Med. 2014;4(1):8–16. doi:10.15280/jlm.2014.4.1.8
- Lee, D. E., Huh, C. S., Ra, J., Choi, I. D., Jeong, J. W., Kim, S. H., … Ahn, Y. T. (2015). Clinical evidence of effects of Lactobacillus plantarum HY7714 on skin aging: A randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled study. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1509.09021