Food and Habits that Cause Premature Wrinkles
While it’s generally known that wrinkles are a consequence of aging, recent research indicates that it’s not only the passage of time that causes these lines and “grooves” in the skin, especially on the face. Certain foods and unhealthy habits can also cause premature wrinkles, which can be a real “nightmare” for some women.
One thing to know about wrinkles is that they are in fact due to the aging process, but what’s incorrect is to think that aging happens when we reach a certain number of years. We can also age prematurely, and that’s what we should try to avoid. Add this to the fact that with age our cellular division slows and we lose the skin’s natural elasticity, hydrogen, and moisture, resulting in the dreaded “wrinkles.”
Types of wrinkles
Wrinkles can be classified into three groups according to their origin, appearance, and depth:
- Gravity wrinkles: These are caused by gravity, a force that acts on the skin and causes it to “droop” downward. The level of resistance to this is determined by a person’s genes and the type of skin they have, as well as how well they take care of it. One of the most common places for gravity wrinkles to appear is around the corners of the mouth, pulling down on the lips.
- Dynamic wrinkles: These wrinkles are caused by movement in the facial muscles – those used to smile, talk, smoke, etc. Patterns of movement can cause different wrinkle formation on different people. For example, if you frequently drink out of a straw you’ll have a distinct wrinkle pattern whenever you move your mouth to talk. This becomes even more evident as elasticity and collagen are lost. Lines above the lips, on the forehead, and “crows feet” around the eye area are the most well known types of dynamic wrinkles.
- Wrinkles of mixed origin: These are caused by a combination of the above two types: i.e. gravity and motion. A classic example is in the neck, where skin slackens due to gravity and wrinkles form by repeated nodding gestures.
What are some habits that cause wrinkles?
Aside from the effects of the natural passage of time on the skin, some people develop wrinkles at a younger age than others. The reason? Keeping bad habits that cause them to form on the face, such as:
- Alcoholic beverages: A person who drinks every day or throughout the weekend will, for example, subtract two years off of their skin’s normal lifetime.
- Leading a sedentary lifestyle: It has been shown that a lack of weekly exercise causes wrinkles to form.
- Insomnia: Lack of sleep is linked to premature aging of the dermis, because sleep stimulates the production of a hormone that helps promote the renewal of collagen.
- Too much sun: If you spend a lot of time sunbathing outside, sun exposure will cause lines to form in addition to causing the dermis to thicken, creating sun spots, and even increasing the probability of developing skin cancer.
- Smoking: This is a very bad habit for several reasons. Where wrinkles are concerned, nicotine doesn’t allow the skin to “breathe.” Moreover, every “puff” of a cigarette causes more wrinkles around the mouth, especially the upper lip.
- Stress: The skin’s responses to stress are similar to those of insomnia. Being nervous or under pressure is synonymous with aging faces, wrinkles, gray hair, and alopecia.
- Skipping breakfast: This is a common mistake made in today’s society – many people don’t eat breakfast properly, either because they don’t have time or just aren’t in the habit of eating breakfast at all. But the first meal of the day is the most important, and it’s even better if it’s healthy and balanced.
- Bad attitude: People who harbor resentment and recriminations have increased activity in their nervous system, which lowers their quality of sleep and with it, their appearance is worsened.
- Sweets: A diet that’s high in sugar not only causes weight gain and obesity, but can result in an increased risk of diabetes, wrinkles, and acne.
- Disease: Some particular medical conditions can cause premature wrinkles, either due to side effects of the medications or the disease itself. Sometimes it’s hard to keep everything balanced in the body.
- Sudden weight loss: People who are overweight and slim down rapidly not only show changes in relation to the pounds they lose – they may also look “older.” Subcutaneous fat fills in wrinkles and makes the skin appear smooth, but when weight is lost this changes completely.
Foods that cause wrinkles
The biggest enemy of young and beautiful skin is sugar. But pay attention: it’s not just desserts, chocolates, or sweets at fault – it can be any food that causes “glycation,” or the reaction between carbohydrates, proteins, and fats at high temperatures. Avoid marinating meats, don’t eat fried food like fish and chips, and reduce the amount of food cooked over high heat (always use low or medium heat, even though it may take longer to prepare). Don’t drink too much liquid during meals.
In contrast, eating more fruits and vegetables instead of sugars can help because they can help eliminate free radicals. And in addition to being rich in antioxidants, these foods are delicious and not fattening. By incorporating these foods into your diet that naturally help prevent the appearance of premature wrinkles, you can make your face look and feel many years younger.