It's True: Prunes Can Contribute to Our Health
An effective laxative is among the most popular benefits of prunes. This is thanks to its high content of fiber and sorbitol, even though they also stand out for their contribution of energy.
Prunes are included in the category of dried fruit since they have lost the major part of their water content, leaving a dehydrated fruit that is wrinkled and dark.
In spite of the dehydrated state and their appearance, it’s a sweet fruit. This is why they are used so much in recipes and pastries.
This small fruit contains high doses of nutrients such as:
• Vitamins (E, folic acid, K, and C)
Thanks to their components, plums contribute wonderful benefits to our body.
Plums as a natural laxative
Perhaps, this is the best known effect of prunes. This is due to the quantities of sorbitol that they contain.
Sorbitol causes a laxative action that improves intestinal movement. This is why it’s a great natural remedy when someone is constipated.
Above all, it’s ideal in the case of women, whose intestinal tract is more apt to be obstructed.
• Eating 8 plums or drinking prune juice is sufficient and is easier to eat. Juice has the same effect as the raw fruit and is easier to ingest.
A way to prepare prune juice is the following:
• 8 prunes
• 4 cups of water
• 1 or 2 tablespoons of honey
See this article: The Risks of Using Laxatives
• Place the plums in the water and let them soak overnight.
• The following morning, put the plums in the blender and liquefy for 1 or 2 minutes.
• You can then add more water, and if desired, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of honey to sweeten.
Above all, for those who are athletes, plums are great natural energizers, thanks to the quantity of sugar that is concentrated in their pulp.
They are great as a snack between meals when one is feeling tired mentally or physically.
Antioxidant mask for the skin
Prunes contain a lot of vitamin E, which is beneficial for the skin and prevents wrinkles.
• Eating several prunes a day gives antioxidants for the care of the skin. In addition, a mask based on plums that complements a skin care routine.
• The following is an example of a facial mask:
• 2 or 3 plums
• Milk ( as necessary)
What to do
• Blend 2 0r 3 plums with a little milk to form a creamy liquid.
• With cotton balls, softly apply the cream to the face and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
• Wash the face with warm water.
This mask will help eliminate pimples, wrinkles, and spots and will reduce the effects of oily skin.
Combined with the laxative effect, the fiber, as well as the low caloric content, prunes are an ideal food for weight loss.
Eating prunes generates a feeling of satiation, and helps avoid the over consumption of calories and carbohydrates.
In addition, they help to cleanse the body and more effectively metabolize sugars and fats.
Eat four ounces (3/4 cup) of prunes daily for about two weeks. This will have great effects on on weight loss as the days go by.
Cavities and gingivitis
The mouth is one of the places where bacteria and germs can easily enter.
In addition to brushing and using rinses, it’s good to know the foods that can prevent cavities and other diseases such as gingivitis.
Prunes detain the growth of cavities, as well as inhibiting the development of bacteria, thanks to its triterpenoid compound that protects the teeth.
Because of this, and all of the benefits mentioned previously, prunes are a food that should be included in the daily diet. This is because they protect the body, help to clean the mouth and contribute to the care of the skin.
Although prunes are great, it’s also important not to consume them in excess.
It’s best to consult with a nutritionist, since each person is different and can react in various ways.
Among the side effects that can occur by overdoing use of prunes:
• Sugar in the blood
• Dependency on laxatives
So, don’t forget: prunes offer multiple benefits to the health, but abusing their properties can end up being harmful.