Learn How to Cleanse Your Home with Sage
The sage plant receives its name from the Latin salvare, which means ‘to save’. Throughout history, it has been used in search of physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Therefore, in this article, you can learn how to cleanse your home with sage.
From traditional medicinal use to varieties that cause hallucinogenic effects, this plant has a multitude of presentations that need to be distinguished. But don’t worry. Read on to learn how to use it in your home.
What is sage?
Sage is a shrubby plant of the mint family that originated in southern Europe. It has been used throughout history as an expectorant and cleanser of colds.
Scientific studies have shown the possibility of its antihypertensive use – that is, its ability to reduce blood pressure. However, this was tested in animals and not in humans.
However, it also has other uses that are not medicinal. It can be decorative, aromatic, cosmetic and part of incense to purify environments and cleanse energy, according to some anecdotal data.
We think you may also enjoy reading this article: Feng Shui and Aromatherapy to Balance the Energy of Your Home
The tradition of sage incense
Sage has been used for more than four centuries by different civilizations. Its use has always been with the purpose of purifying the environment, expanding the wisdom of the people, and increasing their defenses, against diseases that may afflict them.
From there comes the tradition of burning dried sage leaves as if they were a type of incense, in order to purify the environments we frequent and invite good energies to be part of daily life.
The benefits of cleansing your home with the sage plant
Surely you already want to know the alleged benefits of cleansing the home with sage. Here are some of the most interesting ones:
- Some people claim sage can chase away bad energy: It’s said that sage smoke drives away negative energies and low vibrations.
- It may help increase a person’s spiritual connection: Some believe that sage may enhance spiritual connections thanks to the thujone in the plant, a substance tha’is associated with increased intuition and empowerment of the senses.
- It improves your mood: It has been a tradition to use sage to calm down.
- It eliminates bad smells: Like any other incense, sage produces a pleasant smell that will eliminate odors and make you feel even more at home.
- It helps you sleep better: Because of its calming properties, sage will create a state of tranquility that will allow you to fall asleep faster. This is not attributed to a direct effect of the plant on insomnia, but to the associated relaxation, as some research has shown.
Contraindications of the use of sage
Despite these benefits, the plant has certain contraindications if you overdo its use . Therefore, remember that if you are going to purify your home with sage, you should never use any more than necessary.
Likewise, if you’re pregnant, you should keep in mind that the use of sage is associated with uterine contractions and other hormonal imbalances, due to the presence of the substance known as thujone.
Like this article? You may also like to read: 10 Objects That Attract Bad Energy According to Feng Shui
How to make sage incense to purify your home
If you’re new to this practice of cleaning the energies and would like to try it, follow our step by step to purify your home with the sage plant.
- A dried bunch of sage
- Cotton or thread to tie the bunch
- A container to collect the ashes
- Candles and matches
- A bowl or container with sand
- A fan, feather, or some tool that allows you to ventilate
A step-by-step guide to cleanse your home with sage
- Gather your materials and be sure to open a window so that the smoke does not gather in your home, so you also allow negative energies to leave.
- Remember to have the time and space to perform the ritual, so you can do it without feeling rushed and with full concentration.
- Intention is the key! Visualize what you want for your home. Take a moment before lighting the incense bundle to say out loud and clear what your intentions are and what you want.
- Light the bunch of sage using a match or a candle. It’s very important that you start the ritual at the door of your house and spread the smoke as you enter. Then, move in a clockwise direction.
- If there are stairs, go up or down them and purify the space they lead to.
- Purify your personal items. Bring the sage close to the object and surround it with it, making circular movements.
- Close the ritual by repeating your mantra for one last time. Finish by extinguishing the flame in the bowl of sand until the smoke stops coming out. It’s important that you perform this step correctly.
Cleansing with sage is the first step to maintaining good energy
Although you’re performing a purification ritual, it’s important to be alert to any accident that may happen during the process. Therefore, do not leave the sage burning on its own or bring it too close to a surface that may be flammable. Be careful with the smoke and try not to inhale it directly.
This is a beautiful and simple technique to purify different spaces: your entire home, your new desk, a car, or even on special dates, such as New Year’s Eve or birthdays. You can perform the ritual annually or as often as you wish.It might interest you...