10 Ideas and Tips for Celebrating Teen Birthdays
Coming up with an eye-catching and enjoyable concept when celebrating teen birthdays is a real challenge for parents. However, these worries tend to disappear if the children are involved in preparing the celebration.
Keep in mind that having a birthday party is all about forming special memories to treasure in the future. This kind of event allows them to be the focus of attention and enjoy the affection of those around them.
When you involve young people in the planning of their own party, you take the opportunity to share with them, get to know their tastes, and give them responsibilities.
Why is celebrating teen birthdays important?
Birthday celebrations increase teenagers’ self-esteem, because they feel the appreciation of their family and friends. In addition, these evenings contribute to the practice of gratitude, sharing, and positivity.
According to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), from ages 10 to 19 it’s important to promote adaptive, functional, and decisive values. Celebrating teen birthdays has other benefits as well:
- Motivate socialization: Another UNICEF publication states that when adolescents are successful in their social relationships, the brain secretes oxytocin, the hormone that produces a feeling of confidence and reduces insecurities.
- Strengthen friendship bonds: The journal of the Spanish Society of Adolescent Medicine highlights social isolation, boredom and the lack of a network beyond the family as the main problems of the lack of healthy and stable friendships. At a birthday party, teens can cultivate and strengthen that network.
- Strengthen family ties: Celebrating each year of life represents an opportunity to reconnect with the family and strengthen bonds with those around them.
Best ideas for celebrating teen birthdays
Instead of making preparations for a big party, it’s a good idea to ask if they would prefer a simple gathering. Depending on what they say, here are different useful ideas for the celebration.
1. Choose a theme
Having the birthday revolve around a theme is quite appealing. The birthday boy or girl’s hobbies are useful in selecting the theme.
The decorations, table linens, music and ambiance should be appropriate. Among so many options, we could mention the following:
- Swimming pool
- Retro dance
- Neon party
- Costume party
- Hat parade
- Sports theme
- Series or movies theme
2. Plan an outing
A good option, and one that means you won’t need to clean the house after a party, is to plan an outing with the host, family and friends. Try to invite only the closest friends to keep costs down, and make transportation easier.
You can also meet up with the friends directly in the chosen place. For example, bowling alleys, a restaurant, a spa, a soccer pitch, or the park.
3. Organize a sleepover
Girls love sleepovers. This celebration is affordable and doesn’t involve difficult organization.
A menu of pizza, hamburgers, ice cream, snacks, soft drinks and cakes is perfect for a fun night out. Sleepovers provide a sense of security. Even if teens spend the night away from home, parents know they’re under the protection of other adults.
4. Video game afternoon
Boys have their own version of sleepovers: video games evenings. Scheduling an evening with consoles and the group’s favorite games is a good plan for celebrating teen birthdays. Provide snacks and drinks to liven up the gathering.
You may be interested in: My Child Can’t Stop Playing Video Games
5. Take them to the movies
If you have a teen movie buff at home, ask them to pick a movie and take them to the movies with friends. On the way back, make sure you sing Happy Birthday! This way, you show a willingness to learn about their interests and make the treat practical.
6. Set up a photo booth
If they’ve already decided they’re having a party, don’t overthink it: set up a photo booth with multiple props to personalize the pictures. This idea is a hit with teenagers, who enjoy dressing up in glasses, hats, and wigs to look original in the pictures.
You could hire a photographer or designate a family member to do the job. Although they’re a bit expensive, there’s also the service of automated photo booths. By simply walking into them and putting on the props, you have instant photos.
Read more here: Strategies to Promote Healthy Habits in Teens
7. Prepare themed food and drinks
Appetizers at a simple party or gathering should be as delicious as they are appealing. Presentation speaks volumes, so take advantage of the party’s theme to customize the food.
Keep in mind that the guests are teenagers, so the dishes will often involve crisps, pizzas and sweets. Incorporate vegetarian alternatives in the menu too.
In all cases, combine napkins, glasses, and plates to match the birthday theme. Another nice idea is to prepare non-alcoholic cocktails.
8. Plan dynamic activities
Games like Twister ® or Jenga ® help break the ice and liven up the party.
Karaoke is fun and never fails. Make up a list of songs that the birthday boy or girl likes to sing. Then choose a song he or she doesn’t like too much, as a funny “surprise”.
Any dynamic will be a success if you award a prize at the end.
9. Give small gifts to the guests
There’s nothing better than each guest leaving with a little surprise at the end of the party. They’ll really appreciate the gesture and they’ll see that they were taken into account during the planning too. Appropriate gifts can include a photo or a keychain.
10. Organize a homemade talent show
Let teens bring out their creativity at the birthday party. Dancing, singing, acting, and playing musical instruments will all add to the occasion.
These activities are conducive to stimulating young talent. The American Academy of Pediatrics emphasizes that everyone excels at something and it is right for teens to pursue their passion and interests, even if they seem frivolous.
Read more here: 5 Trust-Building Exercises for Children, Teens, and Adults
Tips for a successful teen birthday party
With several ideas for the celebration, don’t overlook certain essential recommendations. The main one is to choose a date when most people can come and that won’t coincide with people being away on holiday.
If the birthday party is to be in an outside venue, look for a modern venue according to the teenagers’ tastes. Finally, check the guest list well; this will ensure that the right amount of food, drinks and souvenirs are provided.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Formas de mejorar la autoestima de su hijo adolescente. Academia Americana de Pediatría. Estados Unidos; 2015. https://www.healthychildren.org/Spanish/ages-stages/teen/Paginas/ways-to-build-your-teenagers-self-esteem.aspx
- La importancia de la amistad en la adolescencia. UNICEF. Uruguay; 2019. https://www.unicef.org/uruguay/la-importancia-de-la-amistad-en-la-adolescencia
- López Sánchez F. Adolescencia. Necesidades y problemas. Implicaciones para la intervención. ADOLESCERE. Revista de Formación Continuada de la Sociedad Española de Medicina de la Adolescencia. Vol. 3. Núm. 2. p. 13 España; 2015. https://www.adolescenciasema.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/adolescere-2015-vol3-n2_9-17_Adolescencia.pdf
- ¿Qué es la adolescencia? UNICEF. Uruguay; 2020. https://www.unicef.org/uruguay/que-es-la-adolescencia