Kedgeree: A Traditional Dish from India
Kedgeree is a typical Indian dish made from rice and fish, with various seasonings that give it a special flavor. It’s considered a very nutritious dish, and it can be included in the context of a balanced and varied diet.
It’s also exceptional from an organoleptic point of view. Because of this, we’d like to show you step by step everything you need to do to achieve an excellent result and leave your guests open-mouthed.
Before starting, it’s important to highlight that fish has to be one of the main sources of protein in the diet. This product provides nutrients of high biological value and quality fatty acids. A regular intake of fish contributes greatly to good health.
Ingredients of kedgeree
To prepare a delicious kedgeree, the following ingredients are necessary:
- 200 grams of basmati rice
- 3 cans of natural tuna
- 2 boiled eggs
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of butter
This recipe could also be prepared with jasmine rice instead of basmati. However, it’s always necessary to choose an aromatic variety so that the final result is optimal. It’s also recommended to choose long-grain rice.
Step by step
- Heat a dash of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the finely chopped onion for at least 10 minutes. The objective is to make it transparent.
- Boil water in a pot with salt.
- Once the onion is ready, add the curry and turmeric, stirring for a couple of minutes more.
- After this point, add the rice, making sure it mixes well with the oil and the spices. It will only be necessary to fry it for a minute and then remove it from the heat.
- The spiced rice has to be taken from the frying pan to the pot. Cook it for 10 minutes watching every so often, so that it doesn’t boil dry.
- To finish cooking, turn off the heat and add the butter. Stir well until it’s completely melted.
- Place the rice in a serving dish and cover it with the tuna and the boiled egg, the latter cut into wedges.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley on top.
- Just serve and enjoy.
For more information: 53 Easy Homemade Rice Recipes
Benefits of kedgeree
Kedgeree is a dish that can bring several health benefits, as long as you ensure there are no deficits of essential nutrients. Otherwise, the efficiency of physiological processes in the internal environment could be put at risk.
Prevents muscle mass problems
Proteins are essential nutrients to ensure that muscle mass remains functional over time. This is evidenced by research published in the journal Nutrition Research. However, an adequate intake of these elements must be combined with regular physical exercise.
According to the most recent nutritional guidelines, it’s important to ensure an intake of at least 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of weight per day in sedentary people. In athletes, the requirements would easily double. In addition, at least half of these proteins must be of animal origin.
Helps reduce the incidence of cardiovascular pathologies
Tuna is a source of omega-3 fatty acids. These elements can help to reduce the risk of developing pathologies affecting the heart, according to a study published in the Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis. These unsaturated lipids modulate inflammatory mechanisms, which improves cardiovascular function.
You may also be interested in: Columbian Rice with Chicken: Healthy, Tasty and Economical
One of the main ingredients of kedgeree is curry. This has antioxidant compounds in it. These substances neutralize the formation of free radicals and their subsequent accumulation in the body’s tissues. The result is a delay in aging, as the most recent evidence affirms.
Prepare kedgeree at home in a simple way
If you follow the steps that we have given you, you’ll be able to prepare kedgeree at home in a very simple way and with a result with excellent organoleptic and nutritional properties.
This dish can be included in the regular diet, since it’s prepared with fresh ingredients of high quality. It doesn’t contain trans fats, additives, or simple sugars that could endanger the functioning of the human physiology.
However, if you aim to preserve a good state of health over time, it won’t be enough just to take care of your diet. It’s also necessary to promote other good habits. Among them, the regular practice of physical exercise stands out, with an emphasis on strength work. It’s also best to get at least 7 or 8 hours of quality sleep every night to improve recovery processes.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Naseeb MA, Volpe SL. Proteína y ejercicio en la prevención de la sarcopenia y el envejecimiento. Nutr Res. 2017 Abr;40:1-20. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2017.01.001. Epub 2017 Enero 16. PMID: 28473056.
- Watanabe Y, Tatsuno I. Prevención de eventos cardiovasculares con ácidos grasos poliinsaturados omega-3 y el mecanismo involucrado. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2020 Mar 1;27(3):183-198. doi: 10.5551/jat.50658. Epub 2019 Octubre 3. PMID: 31582621; PMCID: PMC7113138.
- Zia A, Farkhondeh T, Pourbagher-Shahri AM, Samarghandian S. El papel de la curcumina en el envejecimiento y la senescencia: Mecanismos moleculares. Biomed Pharmacother. 2021 Feb;134:111119. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2020.111119. Epub 2020 Dic 24. PMID: 33360051.