How to Make Aji Rocoto and Aji de Pollería to Accompany Peruvian Dishes
Aji rocoto and aji de pollería are two famous Peruvian sauces that are used to accompany different dishes. They improve the flavor of the recipes and provide a good amount of micronutrients and phytochemicals. In today’s article, we’re going to teach you how to prepare both of these delicious sauces in a simple way.
Keep in mind that we should always use sauces in moderation in our diets. Normally, they tend to increase the energy value of meals, so their regular consumption could unbalance our energy intake and mean more calories. As with any progressive energy increase, this can cause a progressive increase in body weight.
With this in mind, let’s take a look at these two sauces.
There are several ways to make this dish. Some people make it from raw ingredients, but others prefer to sauté or grill them first.
Please note that the end result may be a little spicy. However, this isn’t a bad thing. In fact, it indicates the existence of a substance, capsaicin, which has several health benefits. Among other things, it has been shown to promote weight loss.
The ingredients for aji rocoto
The ingredients you’ll need for aji rocoto are as follows:
- 4 rocoto chili peppers
- 1 onion
- 4 soda crackers
- 1/2 cup of huacatay (Southern Cone Marigold)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- A few drops of lemon juice
- 1 cup of fresh cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boiled potatoes
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Salt and pepper
We think you might like reading: Two Healthy and Delicious Vegan Ceviche Recipes
How to make aji rocoto
- Wash and clean the rocoto peppers inside and out. It’s best to place them under running water, cut them with a knife, and remove the veins and seeds. The cleaner and more seed-free they are, the lower the level of spiciness. If you leave some of the seeds, the sauce may be strong.
- Cut the onion, huacatay, and garlic into very small squares.
- Put olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion first. When the onion becomes transparent, add the garlic, the huacatay, and the rocoto peppers. Mix everything together and cook over medium heat for at least three minutes.
- When the cooking is finished and the mixture has cooled down, put everything in the glass of a blender along with the chopped soda crackers. Blend by gradually adding the evaporated milk and the lemon drops. At this point, add the salt and pepper.
- After, add the crumbled cream cheese and blend again.
- Once ready, serve the sauce in a bowl and place lettuce on top, arranging the cooked and sliced potatoes around it on a plate to dip them in the preparation. Decorate everything with a boiled egg and olives.
Ají de pollería
Next, discover how to prepare ají de pollería, a sauce that usually accompanies grilled chicken. It’s one of the most famous dishes in Peruvian gastronomy. It has an unmistakable flavor. However, it’s also a source of calories due to its oil content.
In any case, it provides a series of phytonutrients with antioxidant capacity that can help neutralize the formation of free radicals. This effect is decisive in preventing the signs of aging, as evidenced by research published in the journal Clinical Interventions in Aging.
It’s important to note that you should always use a good quality oil for the preparation of this kind of sauce. In this case, it’s best to opt for extra virgin olive oil. This oil contains a significant amount of omega 3 fatty acids that have proven to be necessary to control the inflammatory mechanisms in the human body.
We know you’ll like to read: Try This Healthy Potato and Spinach Burger Recipe
Ingredients for aji de pollería
To prepare an exquisite aji de pollería, you will need the following ingredients:
- 6 yellow chilies without veins and seeds, cut in half
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- A teaspoon of dry oregano
- Salt to taste
- 6 huacatay leaves
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 5 tablespoons of oil
- Put the six yellow chilies in a pot and cover them with water. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the peppers cool and remove the skins.
- Put the peppers in a blender together with the half clove of garlic, the teaspoon of mustard, the teaspoon of dried oregano, the salt, the huacatay, the milk, and four tablespoons of oil.
- Once everything has been mashed, add one more tablespoon of oil and process again until the mixture is thick enough. It needs to have some body to enjoy it to the fullest. Keep in mind that if the peppers are not well cleaned, the result can be very spicy.
- Enjoy your sauce!
Prepare ají rocoto and ají de pollería at home
As you’ve seen, it’s easy to prepare ají rocoto and ají de pollería at home to accompany many dishes, especially meat recipes. Both Peruvian sauces will add an excellent touch of flavor, thus improving the organoleptic characteristics of many traditional recipes. Anyway, don’t forget that it’s crucial to use quality ingredients to prepare them.
Finally, it’s necessary to emphasize that it’s necessary to guarantee that you follow a series of healthy habits in order to maintain a good state of health. Along these lines, it’s necessary to make sure you eat a healthy and well-balanced diet.
Also, it’s important that you practice regular exercise and ensure you’re getting enough healthy exposure to sunlight. Otherwise, you may suffer from a deficiency of vitamin D, a very important nutrient for controlling inflammation in the body.