How to Get Rid of Diarrhea Naturally
Diarrhea is one of the most common digestive disorders. It’s characterized by loose stools three or more times a day. Now then, do you know how to get rid of diarrhea naturally?
Traditionally, it’s advised to use different natural remedies to improve the annoying symptoms of diarrhea. Below, we will introduce you to the most popular ones and analyze if they really have scientific support. So, let’s take a closer look.
Diarrhea: The causes and consequences
When the digestive system doesn’t work properly, the result may be an increase in bowel movements; by this, we mean going more than three times a day to the bathroom.
The U.S. Library of Medicine states that the most common causes of this discomfort are:
- Contamination by germs present in the water or food
- The presence of viruses (such as rotavirus) or parasites
- Illnesses such as influenza
- Some food intolerances
- The intake of certain medications
On the other hand, certain diseases such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, or irritable bowel syndrome can also cause diarrhea.
We think you may also enjoy reading this article: Consuming Yogurt When Having Diarrhea: Is It Okay?
Remedies to get rid of diarrhea naturally
In addition to not allowing us to do our activities normally, diarrhea can be annoying and painful. To reduce the symptoms, alternative medicine specialists suggest taking advantage of the properties of the following home remedies:
1. Rice water to get rid of diarrhea naturally
This is one of the best-known recipes to end diarrhea. However, the data on this remedy is not current. In fact, the only study we have been able to trace is from 1981.
Research carried out by the World Health Organization (WHO) concluded that the use of rice water was more effective to cut diarrhea naturally in children than other commonly used substances.
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- 1 cup of rice (185 grams)
- In a saucepan, put the water in and heat it.
- When it starts to boil, add the rice and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- After that time, strain and set aside the water.
- Wait for it to reach room temperature and drink a cup.
- You can consume up to three cups of rice water per day.
This can be a good remedy for any stomach or intestinal problem we have, due to its content of “good” bacteria such as Lactobacillus acidophilus or Bifidobacterium. In fact, an article entitled “Can probiotics help against diarrhea?” Explains that probiotics can make diarrhea disappear in just one day.
These microorganisms can restore the balance in the colon and can even be responsible for getting rid of harmful bacteria. It’s recommended to consume two natural yogurts a day to reduce diarrhea symptoms.
3. Water with lemon and baking soda
Drinking plenty of fluids is essential when we have diarrhea, since the body tends to dehydrate with excess stool. Meanwhile, another of grandma’s tips is the combination of water with lemon and baking soda.
It’s said that it contributes to recovery; however, we have not found reliable scientific data on this matter.
- 1 liter of water
- 3 medium lemons
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 10 grams of sugar (1 tablespoon)
- Place the water and lemon at room temperature in a glass.
- Add the baking soda and salt. Stir well.
- Then, add the sugar and mix.
- Drink several times a day.
4. Myrtilus juice to get rid of diarrhea naturally
The juice of these berries is used in some countries to treat diarrhea on a regular basis. Its astringent and antioxidant properties make it a good choice to soften bowel movement as corroborated by animal studies.
Experts have concluded that consuming ginger can serve to reduce cramps and abdominal pain associated with diarrhea. It can be consumed in different ways, such as in the form of tea.
- 1 small slice of ginger root
- 250 milliliters of water (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 grams)
- In a saucepan, place the water and the ginger slice.
- Heat until it comes to a boil and let the decoction brew for 15 minutes.
- After the indicated time, remove it from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Filter, sweeten with honey, and drink as hot as possible.
6. Chamomile tea to get rid of diarrhea naturally
Chamomile flowers have different medicinal properties. In addition to calming nerves and anxiety – ideal if these are the cause of your diarrhea – the plant would act on intestinal inflammation.
A publication in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology indicated that chamomile is antispasmodic, antioxidant, and antidiarrheal. Although the study was carried out in animals and more data on its action in humans would be needed, it is inferred that its action would be similar.
- 1 chamomile tea bag or
- 1 level tablespoon of dried chamomile flowers
- Heat a cup of water until it boils.
- Then, pour it into a cup and introduce the chamomile tea bag. Leave it for two or three minutes, remove it and you can drink it.
- If the dried flowers of the plant are used, pour them into the saucepan off the heat and let stand for 3 minutes. After this time, strain the water into a cup.
7. Apple compote
The apple is one of the fruits that contain more pectin. This compound has absorbent properties, so it is a good antidiarrheal element.
The best way to consume the fruit while suffering from this problem is cooked, since in this way it.s easier to digest and offers rest to the gastrointestinal tract.
- 2 apples
- 250 milliliters of water (1 cup)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- The juice of 1 lemon.
- Peel the apples and cut them into large slices.
- Put the water and the cinnamon stick in a saucepan.
- Cook until soft.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and add it to the preparation.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and blend in a blender. If you prefer, you can eat the cooked apple without blending.
8. Fenugreek seeds to get rid of diarrhea naturally
Fenugreek seeds (or fenugreek) have antispasmodic properties of the gastrointestinal tract, so they have a calming effect on pain and cramps associated with diarrhea.
Also, their intake decreased the incidence of diarrhea when it appeared in women suffering from various premenstrual symptoms.
9. Carrot and rice water
This mixture has been tested as a moisturizing formula in children with diarrhea. Its intake decreased stool production and improved fluid absorption compared to other oral rehydration solutions.
A carrot and rice soup is one of the dishes that can be introduced when the stomach begins to tolerate food well.
Like this article? You may also like to read: Chronic and Acute Diarrhea: Causes and Treatment
This is another fruit that’s commonly used to cut diarrhea naturally. It’s recommended to consume it somewhat green, due to its high content of tannins that give it astringent capacity. For this reason, bananas are a fruit recommended in diets for diarrhea.
The use of probiotics for the treatment and prevention of this health problem has been extensively studied in recent decades, especially in the case of children.
The scientific evidence shows positive results in this regard, most notably in the case of Lactobacillus G.G and S. boulardii. These types of supplements also help to restore balance and provide a greater amount of beneficial bacteria.
In this case, probiotics should be ingested in supplement form. Therefore, it’s best to consult your doctor about their suitability and follow the instructions of each manufacturer.
Tips to prevent diarrhea
This common problem can appear for different reasons. In any case, there are some simple practices to take into account to prevent a possible contagion and to discover the reasons for its appearance.
When diarrhea appears after taking a new medication, it’s necessary to inform a doctor to explore the possibility of changing your treatment or modifying the doses.
On the other hand, if the possibility of a food allergy or intolerance is suspected, it can be very useful to keep a food diary.
This can be reviewed with the help of a professional who will perform diagnostic tests if necessary. It’s not advisable to start an elimination diet without first consulting a specialist.
If the origin is a virus or bacteria, the risk of contagion can be reduced. To do this, it’s necessary to maintain correct hand hygiene and not to share food utensils. In addition, food poisoning can be prevented by cooking food well and following proper hygiene advice in the kitchen.
In any case, if your symptoms do not subside, pain or other associated signs appear (blood in the stool, fever, decreased urination, or general malaise), it’s necessary to go to the doctor. In this way, a proper examination can be performed and a diagnosis of the problem can be made.
It’s possible to get rid of diarrhea naturally with home remedies
All of these methods to get rid of diarrhea naturally have their benefits, so your choice should depend on your needs and preferences.
However, these foods and drinks are all a complement to the appropriate medical treatment in case of suffering from any disease that’s causing your diarrhea. In addition, they should be combined with an adequate diet and sufficient fluid intake throughout the day.It might interest you...