Honey Spice Cake Recipe
One of these recipes contains Glühwein, a spicy German mulled wine since that's usually served hot. If you're allergic to alcohol then you can remove it from the recipe as the honey spice cake can also be made without it.
Today, we’ll show you a delicious recipe for a honey spice cake, similar to a pound cake in its golden, soft appearance. This honey spice cake is suitable for any occasion, formal or informal.
Another great thing about this cake is it’s simple and doesn’t require elaborate decoration. Obviously, it’s magic is precisely in its simplicity.
You may also substitute any ingredients you may deem necessary in order to suit your particular diet (that is, with the exception of honey, its main ingredient). Vegetable milk, instead of dairy, for example, will make the cake lighter in calories and will accentuate the taste of honey. However, since milk contains about 3% fat, cakes made with it will be richer, denser and moister.
In regard to spices, the ones this recipe calls for are aromatic. Note that some people add a little more ginger to reinforce the spiciness in the honey spice cake. However, in the end, you may tweak it according to your taste.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with spices in desserts, because the result will be exquisite, regardless!
Honey Spice Cake
- The zest of one orange
- 3 c. of honey
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground clove
- 5 c. pastry flour
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 3 c. vegetable drink or dairy milk
- ½ tsp ground anise or anise seeds
- Optional: fresh orange juice, raisins, nuts (whole or powdered)
- Vegetable oil (quantity needed)
- First, preheat the oven to 360ºF.
- Second, zest the orange and set it aside.
- Then, place the dry ingredients in a bowl (with the exception of the orange zest) and stir to a homogeneous mix.
- After, make a hole in the center of the bowl to pour the liquid ingredients there; that is, the milk and the honey.(If you’re opting for the Glühwein version, this is the time to add it. See instructions below.)
- In addition, add the orange zest and proceed to mix all of the ingredients with a hand mixer in order to attain a homogeneous mix, removing all the lumps.
- Let the cake mix rest for 15 minutes at room temperature. So that the ingredients settle and the mix acquires a spicy, intense, pleasant, aroma.
- Subsequently, grease a cake pan with vegetable oil and pour the mix in it. With the help of a spoon or spatula, smooth the surface to evenly distribute the mix.
- Then, place it in the oven and bake it for approximately 30 minutes. Once the surface is raised and golden, poke the center with a fork or a toothpick. If it comes out clean then the cake is ready. If not, then leave it 10 more minutes. Repeat the process until it’s well cooked.
- Once it’s ready, take it out of the oven and let it cool down at room temperature, covered with a clean, dry cloth. (Away from any heat.)
- While the cake is still warm, flip it carefully onto a tray and let it cool down at least 10 more minutes.
- Now that the honey spice cake is ready to serve, sprinkle some natural orange juice on top it, and you may also add some orange slices on the side.
A German Twist
The honey spice cake varies during traditional family holidays. Plus, even though this is a German recipe, it’s also common in other countries such as France and Belgium. The original recipe calls for Glühwein.
Ingredients for the Glühwein
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- The peel of 1 lemon
- The peel of 1 orange
- 7 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- ½ tsp of ginger
- 3 glasses of red wine or Glühwein
You may be interested: Discover the Weight-Loss Benefits of Cinnamon Honey Tea
- First, place a saucepan over low heat, then add the wine. Don’t let the wine boil.
- Second, add the spices and stir it all with a spoon.
- Then, add the sugar and stir, little by little, until it dissolves completely.
- After, strain it and set it aside.
- Prepare the honey spice cake following the recipe above, but this time you’ll add the Glühwein after step number four.
The honey spice cake is a rather simple and yet highly popular dessert due to its exquisite flavor.
In general, this cake isn’t decorated, but, you can add a layer of dark chocolate or sprinkle powdered cocoa or confectioner’s sugar or both; you can also garnish it with nuts and seeds and dry fruit.
Try it. We know you’ll love it!