5 Home Remedies to Fight Facial Sagging
A youthful, firm face is the result of a variety of habits and beauty secrets that keep your skin well-nourished and healthy.
Meanwhile, facial sagging is an unsightly problem that causes premature wrinkling. Not only that, but a study from the Clinical and Dietetic Hospital Nutrition magazine suggests that given the close relationship between skin and health, it could indicate a possible nutritional deficiency. Another possibility is a lack of adequate protection against the sun and environmental toxins.
If you want to improve the appearance of your skin, here are 5 home remedies you can try.
What is facial sagging?
Facial sagging is the loss of firmness in the skin on your face. That’s because as you age, your body doesn’t biosynthesize as much of the fibers like elastin, which give the skin its elasticity, and collagen, which makes skin resilient.
A study from the Superior Institute of Medical Sciences in La Havana, Cuba, suggests that this reduction happens as you age, and triggers sagging and wrinkles.
The first places people usually notice saggy, loose skin is the jawline, jowls, laugh lines, and eyelids.
Factors that speed up skin damage and sagginess
The most common causes of facial sagging are sun damage and smoking. A study from the Holguin University of Medical Sciences suggests that too much solar radiation and poor pulmonary oxygenation from tobacco speed up cellular oxidation. That, in turn, causes dehydration and increases the destruction of elastin and collagen fibers.
Other factors that contribute to this problem are a low-protein diet, genetic predisposition, medications, rapid weight loss, and a sedentary lifestyle.
To help prevent or improve this condition, here are five easy home remedies you can try.
1. Egg whites
Egg whites have been a part of beauty routines since ancient times. Thanks to their amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, this natural ingredient helps nourish and beautify skin.
A study from Duke University also suggests that egg can reduce the appearance of wrinkles caused by free radicals.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- First, beat the egg whites and combine them with the natural yogurt.
- Then, cleanse the areas you would like to treat. After, apply a thin layer of the mixture.
- Let dry for 30 minutes before rinsing.
- Use three times weekly.
2. Aloe vera
The gel of the aloe vera plant is one of the best ingredients for improving and hydrating the skin.
A study from the Camaguey Clinical Hospital in Cuba found that aloe vera has powerful healing properties and can alleviate pain due to irritation.
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- A tablespoon of honey
- Mix the aloe vera, coconut oil and honey in a bowl.
- Then, once you have a smooth paste, apply to face and let work for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Repeat treatment every two days.
Cucumber is composed of more than 90% water and protective antioxidants. Thus, using it on the skin has a refreshing and rejuvenating effect that is good for skin health, according to this study published in the American Journal of Biotechnology.
People also believe that it acts as a natural tonic that’s ideal for toning loose, sagging skin, though there isn’t any scientific evidence to back up that claim.
- ½ fresh cucumber
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- First, take half a cucumber and squeeze the fresh juice through a colander.
- Then, mix with the tablespoon of sour cream to form a thick paste.
- Apply the product to your entire face, and if desired, neck and chest, too.
- Let work for 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Repeat two to three times a week.
Pure honey is a powerful natural moisturizer that benefits both dry and oily skin types.
Its high content of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals make it one of your best allies in fighting sagging and premature wrinkling.
Not only that, but its healing properties have been proven by studies like this one from the University of the Frontera in Chile.
- 8 teaspoons honey
- The juice from ¼ of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- First, mix the honey and fresh lemon juice in a bowl with the olive oil.
- Then, apply the product to your entire face and let dry before rinsing with plenty of warm water.
- Repeat the treatment every night for at least two weeks.
5. Rose water
Rosewater is a natural tonic that reduces facial sagging and treats other aesthetic problems because, according to a study from the University of Seville, it acts as a powerful epithelial protectant.
- ¼ cup rose water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel
You should read: Natural Remedies for Blackheads, Warts and Blemishes
- First, mix all the ingredients together in a closed container.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it to your face and chest every evening.
- Repeat application daily as a part of your beauty routine.
Even if your skin isn’t showing any signs of aging, you should start using these treatments to prevent sagging skin. Choose one that appeals to you and use it regularly to take advantage of its amazing benefits.It might interest you...