Six Simple Natural Remedies to Treat Psoriasis
How would you like to know the best ways to treat psoriasis at home? Read on to find out more about this common condition.
Psoriasis is one of the most common chronic skin diseases. Thus, treatment is aimed at relieving the symptoms, as no cure for the disease as such has been found to date.
How to treat your psoriasis
Psoriasis is a non-contagious skin disease that’s produced by a compromised immune system and affects people between the ages of 11 and 45.
It is characterized by the constant shedding of dead skin, inflammation, redness, and also a warm sensation in the affected area. It can develop in any part of the body, although it is more common on the elbows, knees, and scalp.
While there is still no definitive cure for this disease, there are a considerable number of treatments that help people cope with the symptoms.
In fact, there are natural ingredients that can reduce the stinging and inflammation you can use alongside medical treatment.
Natural remedies to treat your psoriasis
The application of the following natural ingredients we’re going to tell you about helps treat your psoriasis, or more specifically, they reduce the itching or stinging as well as the inflammation it produces.
1. Oat flour
Given its soft texture and the ease of handling it offers, oatmeal can be considered a good ally against symptoms. In addition, it’s considered to have emollient properties.
- 1 c. of oat flour
- 21 c. of water
- First of all, add the flour to boiling water and leave it on low heat for 2 minutes
- Next, pour the preparation into your bathwater, being sure to put the oats on the most affected areas of the skin
- Lastly, you should do this for 15 minutes and then rinse
2. Avocado and chamomile poultice
The fatty acids in avocados are very nourishing for the skin and have anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, they’re ideal to provide extra moisture for the skin and at the same time, treat your psoriasis.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 c. of water
- 1 tbsp. of chamomile
- Prepare an infusion with the chamomile and mix it in the blender with the pulp of the avocado
- Then, spread the product over the affected areas and leave it on for 20 minutes
- Rinse with warm water and dry with a soft cloth
- Finally, repeat this application 2 or 3 times a week
Applying this homemade chamomile tonic
As the tonic is easier to prepare, it’s usually the most popular option. To prepare it you just have to make an infusion, wait for it to warm up, pour it into a container with a spray bottle and spray it on the affected areas.
4. Warm olive oil
Olive oil is a natural source of essential fatty acids and antioxidants that contributes to a better appearance of the skin.
Its properties decrease the excess dryness, facilitate the elimination of dead cells, and calm the burning. Above all, it’s one of the most recommended natural remedies when psoriasis affects your scalp.
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil
- Firstly, heat the olive oil in a double boiler. When it reaches a temperature that is tolerable, massage it gently over your scalp.
- Then, let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse with the shampoo that you normally use
- Finally, repeat this 2 or 3 times a week
5. Aloe vera gel
The aloe vera plant contains crystal-like gelatin that has calming and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s also a great moisturizer.
Most importantly, this natural ingredient accelerates the curing of wounds, burns, and other skin problems that affect the skin’s appearance. In addition, it decreases the peeling of the skin and the redness caused by psoriasis.
- 2 tbsp. of aloe vera gel
- 1 tsp. of coconut oil
- Firstly, mix the aloe vera gel with a small quantity of coconut oil and apply it to the affected skin
- Then, let the skin absorb this well and repeat two times a day
Read about Five Olive Oil Treatments for Your Skin
6. Arnica oil
This product has powerful antiseptic, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory qualities that can be very beneficial to your skin.
- 1/2 c. of olive oil
- 6 tbsp. of arnica flowers
- 1 dark container with a lid
- Firstly, heat the oil in a double boiler. Then, add the arnica, and put it on low heat for three minutes.
- Thirdly, take it off the heat and let it stand in a dark, closed bottle for a week
- Then, after a week, sift the product with a sieve to remove the flowers and apply
- Repeat this daily before going to bed
Can you treat your psoriasis just with these remedies?
Take into account that the remedies given for these cases should not replace treatments prescribed by a doctor. In any case, it can supplement your medical treatment as long as your physician authorizes it.
Keep in mind that, in addition to following your doctor’s instructions, it’s essential you lead a healthy and consistent lifestyle that allows you to enjoy health and wellness on a daily basis.