The Healing Power of Lemon Peel
Lemons contain many medicinal properties that have been used for centuries.
Lemons are common around the world and you can buy them at almost any supermarket. Many people drink lemon juice for health reasons. After all, it is easy to drink and its tart flavor is delicious by itself or on food. Most of us, however, forget about the amazing power of lemon peel.
People usually throw away the peel without realizing that it contains 5 to 10 times more nutrients than the juice, including vitamins A and C, calcium, magnesium, beta-carotene and potassium.
What does the power of lemon peel consist of?
- Lemon peels contain the vitamins we mentioned above as well as citronella and phellandrene, organic compounds that promote good health.
- They’re rich in antioxidants. Lemon peels contain vitamin C, citric, malic and formic acid, hesperidin, pectin, etc.
- The peel contains salvestrol Q40 and limonene, two active ingredients that work on cancerous cells, especially breast, colon, and skin cancers.
- Due to its high content of vitamin C and flavonoids, lemon peel cleanses the blood vessels, reduces bad cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- It contains calcium and other essential minerals that strengthen bones and help prevent conditions like osteoporosis.
- Lemon peel juice or tea is great for fighting intestinal gas, reducing abdominal inflammation, improving digestion and eliminating waste products from the body.
- Due to its antioxidant content, it protects and cleanses the liver, eliminating toxins and impurities that can affect your health.
- Just like lemon juice, the peel possesses alkalizing properties that help regulate the body’s pH.
- Because of its vitamin C content, it’s recommended for reinforcing the immune system and preventing colds, the flu and infections.
- The juice from the peel is purifying, increases the metabolism and can help you lose weight.
Read more: 8 Symptoms of a Vitamin C Deficiency
Recipe for lemon peel juice
The juice from the peel is really easy to prepare and is the ideal drink to refresh and nourish your body.
- 1 organic lemon with the peel
- ½ liter water
- Honey to taste
Wash the lemon and then mix it in a blender with ½ a liter of water and a tablespoon of honey. If you like it cold, add some ice and drink fresh. You’ll have what looks and tastes like traditional lemonade, with a slightly different touch provided by the peel.
You might like: 8 Benefits of Drinking Lemonade Regularly
Other ways to take advantage of the power of lemon peel
Lemon peel tea
If you want to take advantage of the health benefits of lemon peels, follow the steps to this simple recipe to make a delicious tea.
- 2 organic lemons
- 1 liter water
- Honey (optional)
Boil the lemon peels in the water for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add the juice from the two lemons. Finish by adding a little honey or natural sweetener.
Grated lemon peel
One of the most popular and delicious ways to take advantage of the power of lemon peel is by using the zest.
Wash the lemon well and freeze. Then, finely grate it with a grater. You can add this zest to your salads, juices, fish, meats, desserts, or hot drinks.
- Note: To take maximum advantage of the benefits of lemon peels, we recommend using organic lemons, free of pesticides. If you’re not sure of your lemons’ origin, disinfect them by immersing them in equal parts water and apple cider vinegar for 15 minutes. This will remove traces of pesticides and other chemicals used during cultivation.