We are used to thinking of dairy products as the only source of calcium, but what really happens with the calcium from milk? As nutritionists say, dairy products are lacking in magnesium, thus, calcium does not attach properly to bones.
We must also remember that many people suffer from lactose intolerance, since this animal enzyme is not always properly processed in our body. So, what can we do? Since women are the ones who need more of these supplementary doses of calcium in order to take care of their bones, you should learn about an interesting alternative to getting more calcium in your diet: seeds.
1. Hedge Mustard Seeds
You can find hedge mustard seeds in any natural store. You should know that their percentage of calcium is the highest among the entire list below. They are great for anyone and do not have any side effects.
- Hedge mustard seeds are rich in vitamins, tannins, and antioxidants.
- To eat them, boil them for 10 minutes. They have a good flavor and you can make rich infusions and even combine them with a lot of dishes. In fact, they tend to be used when mixed with mustard.
- They are also great for throat problems, like infections and even voice loss.
2. Sesame Seeds
They are the second most calcium rich seeds, but remember that in order to benefit from them, you should always eat them raw.
- Sesame seeds are rich in calcium and iron. Don’t be fooled by their small size, because they are natural sources of vitamins and minerals, great for your day to day.
- They are rich in protein, polyunsaturated fats, and many nutrients.
- You can use them as excellent condiments for your salads or any dish, but remember: always naturally, don’t cook them.
3. Chia Seeds
We have often talked about the benefits of chia seeds. They are amazing. Here’s a list of the most amazing parts:
- Chia seeds are a natural treasure of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients that you should not be lacking.
- Normally, chia seeds are talked about as a super food, because they are great for giving us energy, vegetable origin nutrients, proteins, and fatty acids, which are perfect for your everyday. And without any weight gain to you!
- You can put chia seeds in your shakes or whatever drink you like. You will get an excellent, natural source of calcium everyday.
Do you have linseed at home? If not, don’t hesitate to go to any natural store or specialized supermarket. They are a great source of calcium that will strengthen your bones, take care of your health, and will also prevent you from gaining weight.
- They are very rich in fiber and vitamins.
- They fight inflammation and fluid retention.
- They will take care of your skin and strengthen your hair and nail health.
- You can combine linseed in yogurts, smoothies, or even salads. If you like to make cakes and pastries, don’t hesitate to include these in breads or cakes. You will love them.
5. Lotus Seeds
Have you ever heard of lotus seeds? They are excellent! Tasty, meaty, and rich in calcium.
- They have anti-aging properties.
- They are a source of protein, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus.
- They let you fight bad cholesterol and also have high amounts of iron and zinc, among other oligo-elements.
- Oriental medicine considers them very curative, especially for all those parts that are related to bones and the heart.
- In order to benefit from them, just take 100 grams and cook them for 20 minutes. Eat them as if they were almonds: they are truly healthy in spite of their slightly bitter flavor.
6. Sunflower Seeds
How many sunflower seeds can you consume a day? We recommend one or two tablespoons, in other words, between 20 and 40 grams. Remember that in order to get the amount of calcium found in sunflower seeds, it’s best to eat them raw and dried. You should not add salt because, as you know, it is counterproductive for your health, despite how addictive that they can become like this.
Do you know the benefits of sunflower seeds? Take note:
- They have a high amount of fatty acids.
- Sunflower seeds are rich in minerals like phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, calcium…
- They improve your blood circulation.
- Because they are so rich in potassium and magnesium, they are very useful when you are tired and stressed, for example.
- You should not ignore their great phosphorus and magnesium levels, which are great for caring for your brain health.
- They are very rich in folic acid.
- Sunflower seeds allow you to strengthen your immune system, because they raise your defenses.
- Did you know that they are also great for getting your vitamin B1 dose? Thanks to that, you can prevent fatigue and relieve nerves. And they are delicious!