Four Remedies with Potato Peels You Must Try
Have you ever heard that boiling or cooking certain vegetables or tubers without their skin may decrease their properties? Well, it’s true. And not only that, the peel of some foods greatly beneficial for your health. Such is the case of potato peels, which can be used to create multiple remedies.
Native to the Americas, the potato is one of the most consumed foods worldwide. It’s well known that it’s a source of carbohydrates and, therefore, of energy, but what else do we know about it?
More about the potato
Regarding the nutritional contribution of the potato, the experts of the Asociación 5 al día indicate the following: “the potato is a food rich in carbohydrates. It also contains vitamins B, C, and E, as well as several mineral salts like calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, phosphorus, sulfur, copper, and chlorine”.
The Spanish Nutrition Foundation (FEN) indicates that potatoes are a source of potassium, vitamin C, B6, and carotenoids.
FEN experts comment that to prevent the vitamin C in this food from being lost in the cooking process, it’s advisable to steam or bake it, wrapped in aluminum foil.
Regarding cooking, the Association’s experts differ from the FEN and comment that the ideal would be to simply boil the potato.
Remedies made with potato peels
According to some beliefs, potato peel can be useful to elaborate some home remedies, for different issues. Below we’ll look at some of them.
1. Tea for reducing water retention
An alternative to herbal teas and related diuretic drinks is potato tea, which also helps stimulate urination and eliminate retained fluids.
- 2 potatoes
- 4 c. of water
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly in order to make sure there’s no dirt leftover on the peels
- Add the water into a pot and bring it to a boil. Add the two tubers and boil until they get soft.
- You’ll have to poke them from time to time with a knife or fork to see if they’re done and they’ll be ready when it goes in and out easily, otherwise, leave them in the pot a little longer
- Once they’re well cooked, turn off the heat and let them stand for a few minutes
- Once everything is warm, carefully remove the potatoes and place them in a separate dish and place the liquid in a pitcher
- Pour yourself a glass and enjoy
2. Potato peels to treat dandruff
With potato peels, you can make a tonic to fight dandruff. Follow the recipe below.
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 4 c. of water
- 20 drops of iodine
- The peels of 9 lb. of potatoes
- Heat the water in a pot and add the potato peels once it reaches a boil, leave it for 15 minutes and then remove it from the heat and strain it
- Once it’s rested, add the iodine drops and lemon juice and then, bottle the mixture and keep it securely closed
- You can apply it to your hair after washing, as usual, and then repeat the procedure every time you wash your hair
Discover the Eight Things Raw Potato Juice Can Do for Your Body
3. Potato water to expel kidney stones
When you’re diagnosed with kidney stones, one of the main recommendations is to drink plenty of water throughout the day to help dissolve them and expel them naturally. At the same time, you should avoid caffeinated beverages and stimulants, as these hinder the process.
- 5 potatoes
- 4 c. of water
- Firstly, wash the potatoes thoroughly to get rid of all of the dirt
- Secondly, add the water into a bowl or pot
- Then, add the potatoes and let them soak overnight
- The following day, take the potatoes out of the water and drink the liquid, the diuretic effect will help eliminate or prevent kidney stones
4. Mask to reduce skin blemishes
In addition to following a treatment prescribed by a dermatologist, there are those who consider they can also resort to the following face mask that doesn’t just rely on the properties of the potato but also on turmeric, the spice par excellence of the Hindu culture.
- 2 c. of milk
- 1 tsp. of turmeric
- 5 washed potato peels
- 1 c. of plain yogurt
- Firstly, add the potato peels and milk into a bowl and soak for two hours
- Once the two hours are up, add a bit of yogurt and mix well. Let the preparation sit overnight.
- On the following morning, add the teaspoon turmeric and mix
- Once it becomes a cream, apply it to your skin and let it act for a half-hour. Then, rinse thoroughly.
Learn how to make Homemade Mask with Yogurt to Fight Blackheads
Don’t throw away those potato peels!
When it comes to your health and beauty, you should definitely take advantage of the benefits that come from potato peels. Don’t throw them out the next time you make a meal with potatoes!
Of course, these home remedies should not be used as a substitute for medical treatments that are prescribed by a specialist. However, they can be a good supplement that will help you feel better and eliminate symptoms much more quickly.