Five Easy Ways to Train Your Abs
Who said that it’s difficult to train your abs? While it’s true that you must make an effort, you don’t necessarily have to resort to intense routines to get good results.
Toning your abs takes time and requires a combination of healthy eating and exercise. However, contrary to what many may think, there are ways to work out your ab muscles at home with simple routines.
Although you’ll get quicker results with a personal trainer, you’ll still see results with these routines if you do them consistently. Don’t hesitate to try them out today!
1. The “dead bug” exericise
Although its name is a bit strange, it’s an ab exercise based on coordination. It’s excellent for the upper and lower abs, which means it’s perfect for those who want to tone their entire abdomen.
How to Do It
- Lie on your back on a yoga mat, with your legs stretched and your hands on the sides of your hips.
- Then, while still lying on the mat, raise your leg toward the ceiling until it’s completely stretched.
- While you’re moving your leg, stretch your arm above your head until it forms a right angle with your leg.
- Then, slowly return to the starting position and switch sides.
- Alternate movements with both legs until you complete 10 repetitions.
This article may also interest you: Get Rock Hard Abs with This 4-Minute Japanese Trick
2. Russian twists to train your abs
Russian twists train your abs effectively. Not only do they work the obliques, but they also strengthen the upper and lower abs. To keep your balance, it’s essential to focus your strength on your abdomen.
How to Do Them
- Lie on your back on the mat and bend your upper body until you’re nearly in a sitting position.
- Then, spread your legs and keep your feet together.
- Stretch your arms without flexing them and keep your palms together.
- Lean slightly back and sway your upper body to the right side.
- Hold for a couple of seconds and repeat on the other side. Do six repetitions per side.
3. Bicycle crunches
This exercise is one of the most comprehensive exercises to tone and strengthen your abs. Thanks to its difficulty, it works the entire rectus abdominis at once.
How to Do Them
- Lie down on the mat, with your back straight and legs outstretched.
- Put your hands behind your head with your elbows pointing outward.
- Then, lift your right knee until you reach your left elbow.
- Return to the starting position and repeat the exercise exchanging your knees and elbows.
- Make alternating movements until you complete 10 repetitions on each side.
4. Mountain climber
If you want to train your abs and do a cardiovascular exercise at the same time, you’ll love this exercise. This exercise works out the upper and lower abs. In addition, due to the movement, it also increases your pulse.
How to Do It
- Lie face down, supporting your body on your hands. Make sure your hands are right below your shoulders.
- Make sure your body is straight, also supported on your toes.
- Then, squeeze your abs and bring one of your knees forward. Although it may be hard for you at first, the idea is to for your knee to reach your chest.
- Return to the starting position and repeat the same movement with the other knee.
- Complete 12 repetitions on each side.
5. Scissors abs
To finish this simple routine, we recommend a classic exercise: scissors abs. Although it may seem an easy exercise at first glance, you’ll feel the tension in your abdomen and obliques as you keep doing the reps.
How to Do Them
- Lie on your back with your palms touching the floor just below your buttocks.
- Without separating your arms from the mat, lean forward slightly and raise your legs a few feet off the ground.
- Then, lift one of your legs over your hips and form a 90-degree angle.
- Hold the position for a couple of seconds and go back down without resting your leg on the floor.
- Raise the opposite leg and repeat.
- Do between 12 and 15 repetitions.
Do you want to train your abs but don’t have a lot of time? If so, this simple routine is perfect for you! As you can see, you don’t need special materials nor a lot of space. You’ll have more toned abs in no time!