Do You Suffer from Retrograde Ejaculation?
Are you unable ejaculate when you have an orgasm? In this article, learn more about retrograde ejaculation and its possible causes and treatment.
Occasionally, there are men who have dry orgasms. In other words, they have little or no expulsion of semen. This is called retrograde ejaculation. This takes place when the semen enters the bladder instead of naturally going out of the penis.
When men reach climax, it’s possible that the amount of semen ejaculated is very little or there is even none at all. Even though it’s not harmful to their health, it’s a serious problem if they want to have children.
If you have this problem, you should consult a professional, especially if you want to have a child.
Below, you can take a look at some information about this type of ejaculation.
What Happens During Ejaculation?
Male orgasms take place through a tube called the vas deferens, in which the spermatozoa are transported from the testicles to the prostate. In the prostate, the sperm are mixed with other fluids to produce semen that will be expelled through during ejaculation.
As the semen flows from the prostate to the urethra within the penis, the muscle of the bladder neck become tense. This muscle is located at the entrance to the bladder. Then, it closes to prevent premature ejaculation between the bladder.
Retrograde ejaculation occurs when the muscle of the bladder neck is tightened and it loses the ability to close the passage of semen into the bladder.
During retrograde ejaculation, the entry of semen into the bladder prevents it from exiting.
Among the symptoms of retrograde ejaculation, you can find:
- Dry orgasms: Very little or no semen comes out.
- Cloudy urine after orgasm: This is due to the presence of semen.
- Male infertility: The female is unable to become pregnant, despite the fact that the couple is having continuous sex without using any birth control method.
Read this article, too: 7 Main Causes of Female Infertility
What Causes Retrograde Ejaculation?
First of all, it’s important to clarify that not all dry orgasms are caused by retrograde ejaculation. If you know the cause of the dry orgasm, you will be able to understand what are the options you have.
Dry orgasms may also take place due to:
- Surgical removal of the prostate (prostatectomy).
- Surgical removal of the bladder (cystectomy).
- Radiation therapy for treating cancer in the pelvic area.
If you are having dry orgasms, you should schedule an appointment with your doctor. The both of you can find out the problem that needs attention.
Risk Factors for Retrograde ejaculation
Among the risk factors that can trigger retrograde ejaculation, you can find different reasons:
- If you have high blood pressure and take certain medications to control it.
- If you have diabetes or multiple sclerosis.
- Past prostate or bladder surgery.
- If you take medication to treat an emotional or psychiatric disorder.
- If you had a spinal cord injury.
When Should You Consult Your Doctor?
The main problem of this condition lies in the loss of fertility.
Retrograde ejaculation doesn’t affect a man’s ability to have an erection or enjoy an orgasm. It’s not harmful and doesn’t require further treatment.
However, you should consult a specialist if you are experiencing the following:
- If you’re sexually active on a regular basis without using protection for a year or more and want a child and are unable to get your partner pregnant.
- If you’re taking medications that cause dry orgasms. Your doctor can evaluate other treatment options that allow you to restore normal ejaculation.
Check out this article, too: The Risks of Pregnancy After Age 40
Alternative Measures for Retrograde Ejaculation
When a couple wants to have a child and is unable to, this can cause tension. Meditation and yoga are very beneficial to reduce stress and help to improve this condition.
Men with retrograde ejaculation can also impregnate their partners with assisted reproduction techniques. You just have to find the most suitable one according to your case.
In addition, it’s essential to reduce unhealthy habits to prevent risk factors. In the case of diabetic men, it’s essential to maintain good control of blood sugar in order to help prevent this condition.
Hopefully, all of this information has been helpful to find out what’s happening to you and let you know more about retrograde ejaculation. If so, please consult your doctor. They can help you resolve this issue.