Cream of Green Asparagus Soup
Green asparagus is versatile, meaning you can include it in your diet in many ways. This time, we propose a delicious cream of green asparagus soup!
Cream of green asparagus is one of the healthiest vegetarian dishes. Although you can prepare this vegetable on the grill, cream soup is a nutritious dish that allows you to vary your lunches and dinners. Would you like to learn how to make it?
Green asparagus is a well-known vegetable among those who follow vegetarian and vegan diets. In fact, it’s an option for those looking to lose weight, since its caloric intake is minimal and it’s nutrient-rich. Below, discover its properties in detail!
Nutritional properties of green asparagus
Preparations with green asparagus help you get important essential nutrients. Even though it’s one of the vegetables with the fewest calories, it contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. In fact, each cup (90 grams) of cooked asparagus contains:
- Calories: 20
- Protein: 2.2 grams
- Fat: 0.2 grams
- Fiber: 1.8 grams
- Vitamin C: 12% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)
- Vitamin A: 18% of the RDA
- Folate: 34% of the RDA
- Vitamin K: 57% of the RDA
- Potassium: 6% of the RDA
- Phosphorus: 5% of the RDA
- Vitamin E: 7% of the RDA
This food also contains other micronutrients, such as iron, zinc, and riboflavin, albeit in smaller quantities. In addition, it contains antioxidants such as flavonoids and polyphenols.
You should also read: Cream of Asparagus Soup: Two Recipes You’ll Love
How to make cream of green asparagus soup
There are many versions of the recipe. However, in general, they’re all usually healthy and suitable to accompany main meals. You can use vegetable or chicken broth, depending on your preferences. Also, if you prefer, you can replace the cream with a vegetable version, such as coconut or sesame.
- 3 cups of green asparagus (270 g)
- 1 large onion
- Milk or vegetable cream (20 g)
- 1 leek
- 1 cup of vegetable or chicken broth (250 ml)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Olive oil (the necessary amount)
- Firstly, wash the wild asparagus well. Then, peel off the hard part of its shell with the help of a peeler or knife.
- Subsequently, chop them into several 1-inch pieces. Set them aside.
- Separately, chop the onion and leek into small pieces.
- Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil and stir fry the vegetables (including the asparagus) over medium heat.
- Sauté for 10 minutes, until the vegetables turn golden brown.
- Next, pour the sauce into a saucepan and add the vegetable or chicken broth.
- Boil the preparation for about 10 minutes.
- Then, add salt and pepper to taste.
- After this time, when the asparagus is soft, let the preparation stand for a few minutes.
- Once it stands, pour the contents into an electric glass mixer and blend until you get a smooth cream.
- Strain the cream and pour it back into the pot.
- Heat for five minutes over low heat and, finally, add the cream. If you want a creamier texture, add more cream. If you prefer it more liquid instead, add more vegetable broth.
Read on to learn more: 6 Reasons to Eat Asparagus and How to Cook It
How to serve this cream of green asparagus soup
Serve the soup in individual portions and garnish with roasted asparagus, chopped into small pieces. If you prefer, add a splash of extra virgin olive oil and some grated Parmesan cheese. Both will give the soup a very special touch!
You can accompany the cream of green asparagus with a boiled egg or croutons. If you want to further enrich this recipe, you can try some of the following options:
- Red pepper strips. Roasted or cooked.
- Ham shavings. If you aren’t vegan or vegetarian, this option is a great way to improve the flavor of the cream. Simply put the ham slices between two sulfurized baking sheets. Then, bake them in an oven preheated to 390°F for a few minutes. When dry, cut them into several pieces and add them to the cream.
- Seeds and nuts. The smooth taste of these ingredients also provides the cream of asparagus a delicious flavor. If you like, add some chia or flax seeds. If you opt for nuts, mash them well and put them on top of the soup to garnish.
Have you tried this delicious recipe yet? As you can see, you can make it in simple steps, with ingredients that you probably already have on hand! The best part of all is that you can eat it without regrets, as it’s very healthy.