Cream of Asparagus Soup: Two Recipes You’ll Love
If you're craving a rich cream of asparagus soup with a twist, here are two yummy recipes that reinvent this dish.
Asparagus is a food that was offered to Greek and Egyptian gods for thousands of years. Fortunately, its use spread to many more sectors of the population thanks to the Romans, who introduced it to all of Europe. Over time, people began to incorporate this vegetable more and more in their preparations. This is why we can enjoy many asparagus dishes today, like cream of asparagus soup.
The main asparagus producers in the world are Germany, Italy, and France. This tells us that those countries consume it the most, closely followed by Belgium, Spain, Portugal, and Turkey. In light of this, there are many cream of asparagus soup recipes and all of them are delectable.
In this article, we’ll discuss some of the best ones so you can make them and wow your guests!
Remember that asparagus contains several nutrients that keep you healthy.
For starters, they’re high in vitamins A, C, E, and K, folic acid, potassium, trace elements, fiber, and antioxidants. The action of these nutrients results in diuretic properties (which help the body release toxins), as well as anti-aging properties (they fight free radicals).
In addition, eating asparagus regularly favors the circulatory system.
Classic cream of asparagus soup recipe
The following recipe is the most common cream of asparagus preparation that’s both familiar and really easy to make. And the best part of all is that you don’t need a lot of ingredients to make it nor special cooking techniques.
The amounts we specify below are for two people.
- ½ an onion
- ½ a potato
- Olive oil
- Heavy cream
- 1 bunch of green asparagus (325 g)
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (500 ml)
- Seasonings: salt and white pepper
- Optional: 1 leek
- Wash and cut the asparagus stalks and then cut the remaining asparagus into medium pieces.
- In a frying pan, sauté the onion and potato in olive oil. Once ready, set aside.
- In a pot, boil the chicken broth with a little olive oil. Once the broth reaches its boiling point, incorporate the asparagus pieces. Let them cook for a few minutes over medium heat.
- Turn off the heat, incorporate the onion and potato, and blend all ingredients until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Season to taste and let cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- After the 15 minutes are up, add a little cream to the soup and let rest for a couple of minutes so everything mixes well.
- Add any garnish you like and serve hot.
Semisweet cream of asparagus soup recipe
- 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- 2 leeks
- 2 zucchini
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 large apples
- Seasoning: salt and cinnamon
- 1 bunch of green asparagus
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of brown sugar (5 g)
See also: 8 Amazing Health Benefits of Asparagus
- Peel and cut the garlic cloves into small pieces (as many as you can). Do the same with the onion, zucchini, and leeks.
- As in the previous recipe, cut the asparagus stalks and throw them away. Chop the rest of the asparagus into medium pieces.
- After that, peel and cut the apples. Then, place them in a pot with a little water and cinnamon so they soften. Careful! Don’t let the apples become a compote.
- Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic. Once ready, add the leeks, asparagus, and zucchini.
- Move the ingredients to the pot with the apples and cinnamon. Add a little water (until you cover all ingredients) and let cook for about 15 minutes. After this time, turn off the heat and let rest.
- Finally, season and blend all the ingredients. Add the basil and serve hot.
This cream of asparagus soup is a dish that can be enjoyed both as an appetizer or a light dinner. Everything will depend on your tastes. The important thing is to be careful with the cooking times and heat so the recipe comes out perfect.
Try these recipes and give them your own personal touch!