Cinnamon: A Potential Natural Remedy For The Effects of Diabetes
Cinnamon is a spice that has many health properties. Among them, its ability to act as a potential aid when dealing with the effects of diabetes stands out.
However, for this to work, you need to follow the steps indicated in this article. At the same time, you should talk with your doctor if you have any doubts.
Discover how you can make this cinnamon home remedy in the next paragraphs!
Can you control diabetes?
According to what doctors say, there isn’t a cure for this disease that affects your blood sugar levels.
However, they also confirm that you can see an improvement and better control of your health level. This happens if you keep three factors in mind:
- A strict diet
- Regular exercise
- Proper medication or supplements
It’s been shown that the largest improvements happen for patients that have type 2 diabetes.
The benefits of cinnamon
Cinnamon is a spice with a sweet, aromatic flavor. It’ s great for seasoning any kind of dish. However, it’s normally used in sweets like pastries, pies, and cookies.
Oatmeal, Linseed and Sesame Cookies for Those Diet Cravings
Some studies have shown that cinnamon may have a great number of health benefits for your body, some of the ones we can read about are:
- Better circulation and prevention of blood clots
- Relieves menstrual pain
- Increases your libido
- Speeds up your metabolism and encourages weight loss
- Prevents the appearance of varicose veins
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- It’s an antibacterial and antifungal ingredient
- Stimulates your digestive system
- Regulates body fats
What kind of cinnamon?
There are different kinds of cinnamon. However, the sweetest and medicinal kind is Ceylan (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum). This is what we’re going to use for this remedy.
It’s originally from the south of India and Sri Lanka.
Cinnamon that we find easily and is cheap is Chinese or Cassia cinnamon. But this kind has a worse quality.
Sweeten it with stevia
To sweeten this remedy, we’re going to use stevia. This is a plant that comes from Paraguay. It gives a greater natural sweetness than sugar. And, it also helps you to keep your blood sugar levels under control.
Also, it could possibly have other health benefits:
- Better digestion
- Great for weight loss diets since it has 0 calories
- Has a light ability to reduce your blood pressure
- Reduces your anxiety levels
- Fights the appearance of mold
- Encourages the removal of liquids from your body
- Strengthens your defenses
- Helps to fight cavities
- Prevents constipation
- Encourages healing of your wounds
What kind of stevia should you use?
You can find pure or refined stevia in different forms (powdered, liquid, in tablets, etc.)
To benefit from its medicinal properties, you need to use pure stevia, either the leaf or extract. It has a dark color and a flavor similar to licorice.
To cook with it or sweeten deserts, you can use refined stevia. This has a more subdued taste, though it isn’t medicinal. It also doesn’t have the harmful effects of sugar or other artificial sweeteners.
Natural home remedy
- 1 teaspoon of powdered Ceylan cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of dry stevia leaves
- 1 quart of water
- In the morning, boil the water and when it starts boiling, add the powdered cinnamon and the stevia leaves.
- Take it off the heat and cover it. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Instead of cinnamon powder, you can use cinnamon sticks. If you do, leave it in to steep for 15 minutes.
How to drink it?
To get all of the benefits from this remedy, you should split it into several doses. These can be taken over the course of the day.
- 1 cup for breakfast
- 2 cups at mid morning.
- 2 cups in the afternoon before eating dinner.
If you want to get the most out of this alternative remedy, it’s a good idea to keep the following factors in mind:
- Avoid eating sugar and sugary foods
- Reduce the amount of carbohydrates you eat (bread, pizza, french fries, etc…)
- Eat several meals over the course of the day, eating moderate portions
- You can take a brewer’s yeast or nutritional supplement
At the same time, we recommend that you include the following ingredients in your diet. They’re very beneficial for diabetes patients:
- Watercress is a vegetable that’s rich in chromium. This also helps you regulate your glucose levels.
- Oats prevent sugar spikes.
If you suffer from diabetes, you should always talk to a medical specialist. Also, don’t start any treatment without talking to your doctor.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Khan, A., Safdar, M., Ali Khan, M. M., Khattak, K. N., & Anderson, R. A. (2003). Cinnamon Improves Glucose and Lipids of People with Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.26.12.3215
- Mang, B., Wolters, M., Schmitt, B., Kelb, K., Lichtinghagen, R., Stichtenoth, D. O., & Hahn, A. (2006). Effects of a cinnamon extract on plasma glucose, HbA1c, and serum lipids in diabetes mellitus type 2. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2362.2006.01629.x
- Gruenwald, J., Freder, J., & Armbruester, N. (2010). Cinnamon and health. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408390902773052
- Akilen, R., Tsiami, A., Devendra, D., & Robinson, N. (2012). Cinnamon in glycaemic control: Systematic review and meta analysis. Clinical Nutrition. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2012.04.003