Cayenne Flower for Hair: Does it Have Any Benefits?
Cayenne flower treatments for hair have been known for a long time. This plant, whose scientific name is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, belongs to the mallow family and is native to Asia. While it’s used for medicinal purposes for its analgesic properties, it also has applications in cosmetics.
In fact, as a study in the journal Plants shows, this is a species abundant in bioactive phenolic compounds, whose antioxidant action helps prevent premature aging and other negative effects caused by free radicals. We’ll tell you more about its benefits in this article.
Cayenne flower composition
The cayenne flower stands out in cosmetics for its abundant concentration of antioxidants. According to a study shared in the Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, extracts of this plant contain flavonoids, as well as gallic acid and forms of natural alcohol.
In addition to this, it provides small amounts of micronutrients, such as the following:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B1 and B2
We think you may also enjoy reading this article: 13 Makeup and Hairstyle Tricks to Save Time in the Mornings
The possible benefits of cayenne flower for your hair
Cayenne flower is also distinguished by other names, such as “hibiscus” or “Chinese flower.” Its properties have long been harnessed in traditional Chinese medicine as an adjunct to promote wellness. Apart from this, however, it’s a valued ingredient in hair cosmetics.
The reason? Its extracts are associated with certain benefits for hair health, such as stimulation of healthy growth, hydration, and elimination of excess oil. So, what does the science say about it? Let’s take a closer look.
Cayenne flower to promote hair growth
One of the main applications of cayenne flowers has to do with promoting healthy hair growth. The extracts from these flowers are positively associated with decreasing excess hair loss.
In fact, astudy reported in the International Journal of Current Research reported that the active ingredient of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis showed potential for stimulating hair growth. However, it should be noted that this research was done on animals. Therefore, studies proving the same effect in humans are still required.
For now, the popular literature speaks of promising effects of this plant to help the growth of hair strands. Its topical use is associated with healthier and stronger hair.
The polyphenols contained in cayenne flowers are also linked to a positive effect on dandruff control. According to research reported in the International Journal of PharmTech Research, its antifungal capacity helps control the growth of the fungus Malassezia furfur, responsible for this hair problem.
Control excess oil
Thanks to its interesting concentration of bioactive compounds, cayenne flowers have an astringent effect on the scalp. Their topical application helps to regulate the pH and minimize excessive oil production in this area. The result? A clean and healthy-looking head of hair.
Hydration and shine
The polyphenols, vitamin C and minerals in this flower have a beneficial effect on the hydration and restoration of the hair strands. Hence its applications in combating excessive dryness, breakage, and split ends.
It’s important to reemmeber that the evidence on the benefits of cayenne flower for hair is still limited. Most of its effects are described in anecdotal data. Therefore, it should be used with caution and only as a supplement.
Treatments with cayenne flower for hair
Right now, it’s possible to find hair treatments with cayenne flower among its components. However, there are those who prefer to use the plant in its natural form. In the latter case, it’s advisable to do a patch test first to rule out possible adverse reactions.
What does this mean? Well, it’s best to test the preparation on a small area of the scalp. If there are no signs of side effects after two hours, it can be used without problems on all your hair.
1. A hair rinse with cayenne flower
The traditional way to use cayenne flower on the hair is by preparing an infusion that is used as a rinse. This is used to strengthen the hair strands and to add shine and moisturize.
- 7 cayenne flowers
- 1 cup of water (250 milliliters)
- Put the cayenne flowers in a pot with one cup of water.
- Then, bring them to a boil over medium-low heat until they come to a boil.
- At this point, when the liquid acquires a dark tone and a thick texture, turn off the heat and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Then, strain the drink and use the liquid to rinse the hair.
- Once applied, let it stand for 30 minutes and wash your hair as usual.
2. Repairing treatment with cayenne flower
The combination of cayenne flower with other healthy ingredients allows for obtaining more effective hair treatments. In this case, it’s prepared with aloe vera, an ingredient widely used in cosmetics due to its nourishing and repairing properties.
- 10 leaves of cayenne flower
- 2 aloe vera stalks
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of mild neutral shampoo (100 milliliters)
- Clean and peel the cayenne flowers. In the same way, cut the aloe vera and extract its pulp.
- Then, in a blender, add both ingredients plus the vegetable oil.
- After getting a smooth mixture, combine it with the neutral shampoo.
- Now, apply the treatment and leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing.
We think you may like to read this article, too: 4 Reasons Why You Might Get Gray Hairs When You’re Young
3. Cayenne flower, yogurt, and rosemary oil treatment
The ingredients used in this treatment are ideal for promoting healthy hair growth. It’s also a good option for combating dryness and breakage of the hair strands.
- 10 cayenne flowers
- 5 tablespoons of natural yogurt
- 8 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey (15 grams, optional)
- Wash the cayenne flowers well and put them in the food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until you get a smooth, uniform paste.
- Apply to damp hair and leave on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse as usual. You can repeat the application 2 or 3 times a week.
What to remember about cayenne flower for hair
The application of cayenne flower products has become an alternative for hair health. Anecdotal evidence points to it promoting growth, hydration, and dandruff relief. However, quality studies to prove it are still lacking.
For now, treatments containing this flower are used as an adjunct to increase the shine and hydration of hair. And although this remedy is usually safe, it’s best to do a small patch test beforehand to rule out possible adverse reactions.It might interest you...