Can Water with Lemon Juice Help You Sleep Better?
Getting a good night's sleep is essential for our well-being and to be able to carry out our daily activities.
Warm milk mixed with cinnamon and honey, chamomile tea or valerian tea are not the only homemade drinks recommended to help you sleep better. There are other hot drinks that are recommended, such as water with lemon.
Together, these drinks are traditional homemade remedies and, beyond the ingredients they have, what really helps to achieve relaxation and better rest is the fact that these drinks are served and consumed hot (at a bearable temperature). The heat produces a comforting sensation.
What can help you sleep better at night?
To help you sleep better at night the most important thing is to rely on good daily habits:
- A balanced diet
- A good exercise routine
- Good stress management
If we do about 30-40 minutes of exercise a day (minimum) and have a light dinner, at least 3 hours before going to bed and use stress-management methods, we should be able to fall asleep easily and rest well at night.
Additionally, we can consume hot drinks, but we must always be clear that these, by themselves, will not have the desired effect.
Tips for better sleep
- Keep your room at a comfortable temperature, between 60 and 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ventilate it every day, for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Try to lower the intensity of the lights at least 3 hours before bedtime. Also, try to turn off the lights gradually, until you fall asleep, and then you only have to turn off the light on the bedside table.
- Stop using electronic devices (especially mobile phones, computers and tablets) at least one hour before going to sleep.
- Avoid consumption of caffeine and similar stimulating substances after midday.
- Perform some rituals before going to bed: take a hot shower, read a magazine, meditate, do deep breathing exercises or gentle stretching, give yourself a gentle foot massage, etc.
- If you find it hard to relax because you’re thinking too much, remember a pleasant moment and try to play it back in your mind. Pay attention to the colors, objects, words, etc. of that memory and gradually move away from the distressing thoughts. Take your time, breathe deeply, relax your body part by part(from your toes to your head).
A lemonade recipe at night
In order for the following drink to help you enjoy a good night’s sleep, you should take into account the above points.
**Some people mix it with a touch of lavender or chamomile, which have sedative properties.
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice (50 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of honey (7.5 g)
- Squeeze the lemon juice and put it to one side
- Heat the water in the microwave for 1 minute
- Add the honey and stir well
- Add the lemon juice and stir again to mix all the ingredients
- Drink slowly, savoring each sip
If you still have good sleeping habits and still have poor quality sleep, it’s best to consult your doctor. You may need to follow specific treatments and pay more attention to certain habits that may be harming you.
Finally, keep in mind that before resorting to insomnia products (whether infusions, capsules, etc.), it’s best to consult your doctor.