Chia seeds are a food native to Central America, where the Mayans and the Aztecs used them for medical and nutritional purposes. No wonder: after all, chia seeds have many natural benefits.
Following European colonization, chia seeds went mostly unnoticed. This time gave way to other healthy foods such as amaranth, quinoa and barley.
However, some decades ago, chia seeds grew in popularity around the world. Today, more and more people cultivate them because chia seeds can be”superfood.”
This is due to its high content of nutrients, such as proteins and fiber.
They also stand out as a source of omega 3 fatty acids, anti-oxidants and essential minerals. When combined, these qualitites increase energy levels and prevent diseases.
Best of all, the slightly nutty flavour of chia seeds mixes easily with other ingredients. So, it is easier to incorporate it into your regular diet.
Since many don’t know about the great properties of chia seeds, we’ve taken the opportunity to share 8 reasons to start consuming them.
1. They control cravings
Because of their high content of dietary fiber, chia seeds can help curb food anxiety.
- This nutrient prolongs the feeling of fullness after eating and, thanks to this, stops us from consuming an excessive number of calories.
2. They help you lose weight
As well as preventing overeating, chia seeds contain healthy fats and anti-oxidants. So, they reduce the accumulation of fat in body tissues.
- In moderate portions, consuming chia seeds can stimulate metabolism and increases energy expenditure. So, you can burn calories more easily.
3. They strengthen the muscles
The minerals contained in these seeds are ideal for improving muscle health, especially when you combine this with physical exercise.
- These nutrients, as well as containing high quality proteins, strengthen muscle mass and accelerate tissue regeneration.
4. They reduce joint pain
Incorporating this food into your regular diet can reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- This is because of their contribution of omega-3 and anti-oxidants, which reduce inflammation associated with these problems.
5. They improve bone health
The high-quality nutrients provided by chia seeds are a good complement for keeping your bones healthy and strong.
- They contain a significant amount of calcium which decreases the risk of loss of bone density and disorders such as osteoporosis.
- Meanwhile, omega-3 fatty acids prevent inflammatory imbalances and minimize the negative effects of free radicals.
6. They support digestion
Eating these seeds on a regular basis is a simple and healthy way to support digestion and intestinal health.
- Their natural fibres bind with water during the digestive process which helps with the elimination of waste and with intestinal movement.
- It’s also a prebiotic ingredient which, when consumed, feeds the bacterium flora of the colon which in turn prevents gastrointestinal infections.
7. They help take care of cardiovascular health
- Due to their slight contribution of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E, these seeds are a good supplement for preventing cardiovascular diseases.
- Both nutrients relieve inflammation and help control bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides, which are mainly responsible for certain heart conditions.
8. They improve sports performance
To perform well at sports, it’s essential to consume proteins, healthy fats, and other nutrients that act as a source of fuel for all the body’s systems.
Chia seeds meet these nutritional requirements and, for this reason, are one of the recommended foods for athletes and people involved in regular physical activity.
9. They help to detoxify the body
The anti-oxidants that these wonderful seeds provide are a significant help for eliminating toxins that build up in the bloodstream.
They protect the cells and optimise the functions of the excretory organs to keep the body detoxified.
10. They prevent premature ageing
Eating this food not only prevents premature ageing of the skin, but also the internal organs of the body.
- Omega-3, vitamin E, and essential minerals support cell regeneration and create a barrier against the effects of free radicals in the environment.
Do you need any more reason to eat them? As you can see, this is a complete food, and can improve our well-being in many ways.
You can buy them in herbal shops and supermarkets. See for yourself how good they are for your health.