Five Aloe Vera Hair-Strengthening Treatments
There are a wide variety of aloe vera hair-strengthening treatments. In fact, in the cosmetic industry, this plant’s extracts are often added to hair products. However, it can also be used in its natural state, alongside other ingredients for better results.
Is your hair dull and lacking moisture? Do you have brittle split ends? Here, we give you five recipes to recover the shine and softness of your hair. They’re easy to prepare and you can use them several times a week.
The benefits of aloe vera for the hair
In the field of natural cosmetics, aloe vera is one of the most used ingredients in hair products. Although to date there’s no clinical evidence regarding its benefits, anecdotal evidence suggests that it’s useful for softening, rehydrating, and repairing damage to hair caused by the environment.
Some people use aloe vera as a complementary treatment to mitigate the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis that affects the scalp. According to a study published in the Journal of Dermatological Treatment, the fatty acids contained in the plant have anti-inflammatory properties, which help improve this condition.
In addition, a publication in the Brazilian Journal of Microbiology states that the plant’s gel has antibacterial properties. This gives it the ability to prevent hair infections and associated problems such as excessive hair loss.
You might also like to read: 5 Properties of Aloe Vera that Make It Worth Having at Home
Five aloe vera hair-strengthening treatments
As we mentioned earlier, there are some commercial products that contain aloe vera gel to strengthen hair. However, if you’re a lover of natural products, you might like to try some home treatments that use the plant itself.
1. Aloe vera and coconut oil treatment for your hair
The combination of aloe vera’s moisturizing and repairing powers with the essential fatty acids of coconut oil makes for an excellent strengthening and revitalizing treatment for damaged, dry hair.
Its antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals deeply nourish the scalp and promote healthy hair growth. At the same time, it provides shininess and softness.
- 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel (45 g).
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (30 g).
- Put the aloe vera in a container and blend with the coconut oil until well-mixed.
- Separate your hair into sections and spread the treatment from the roots to the tips.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave for an hour.
- Rinse as usual.
2. Aloe vera and honey treatment
Honey is a food that can help hydrate and strengthen your hair. Combined with a little aloe vera gel, you get a combination that can help protect your hair from dryness and prevent it from falling out excessively.
Furthermore, it’s one of the best options for reinvigorating greasy hair. This is because it regulates the natural production of oil without interfering with the activity of the sebaceous glands.
- 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel (45 g).
- 3 tablespoons of honey (75 g).
- Combine the aloe vera gel with the honey in a container.
- Massage it into your hair.
- Be sure you cover all of your hair, leave for 20 minutes, and rinse.
- Apply up to three times a week for good results.
3. Aloe vera and egg treatment
Egg proteins mixed with the hydrating powers of aloe vera make a revitalizing treatment for those who have issues with excessive hair loss. Its absorption into the hair follicles deeply nourishes the hair while, at the same time, strengthening it and naturally encouraging growth.
- 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel (60 g).
- 1 egg.
- Beat an egg and mix well with the aloe vera gel.
- Spread it onto your hair and leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash with your favorite shampoo, rinse, and repeat three times a week.
You might also be interested to read: How to Use Egg for Hair Care
4. Aloe vera and clay treatment
A combination of aloe vera and clay is ideal for removing dead cells that accumulate on the scalp. According to a review published in the Iranian Journal of Public Health, the clay contains minerals and antibacterial properties. Due to this, it could be useful as a complementary treatment for hair.
If you mix aloe vera gel with clay and a little olive oil, you can make an exfoliating hair mask that will remove the dead skin cells that build up on the hair.
Its application contributes to improved oxygenation of hair follicles while controlling hair loss and encouraging hair growth. It’s also great for managing excess oil and dandruff.
- 6 tablespoons of aloe vera gel (90 g).
- 1 tablespoon of green clay (10 g).
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (16 g).
- Put all the ingredients into a container and mix until you get a creamy paste.
- Smooth over your hair and leave for 30 minutes.
- Rinse well with water and apply once a week.
5. Aloe Vera and Castor Oil Treatment
Traditionally, castor oil is said to be ideal for stimulating hair growth and reducing thinning. Mixed with aloe vera, it results in a moisturizing treatment that strengthens the roots and strands.
- 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel (30 g).
- 1 tablespoon of castor oil (15 g).
- Put the ingredients in a container and mix well.
- Rub the mixture all over your hair and leave for 20 minutes.
- Rinse as usual.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a week.
What else can you do to strengthen your hair?
Aloe vera is a plant that can contribute to hair care. However, you must remember that, on its own, it won’t have any effect. Therefore, if you’re considering including it in your beauty routine, do so, but don’t neglect your other habits.
To strengthen your hair, in addition to preparing and applying those treatments discussed here, you must eat healthily and make sure you stay hydrated. Furthermore, avoid excessive use of hair clips, hairdryers, and any other heat device that weakens the hair.It might interest you...