10 Beauty Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has multiple properties, one of which is being an excellent moisturizer. We can make homemade natural products with a coconut oil base that are very effective at moisturizing the hair, the face, the nails, the hands and the body, in general.
To avoid spending so much money and to look younger and more beautiful, you can enjoy the benefits of certain natural ingredients such as coconut oil. In this article, we will tell you more about its benefits for beauty.
What is coconut oil used for in beauty?
From now on, coconut oil will become your best ally. You can enjoy all of its benefits in the following ways, without needing to go to a beauty center.
1. Hair mask
When coconut oil is below 23°C, it becomes solid as if it were a cream. At this temperature, you can use it as a mask capable of returning shine and softness to your hair. Once you have washed your hair in the shower using shampoo, apply a generous layer especially on the tips. Let it act for 5 minutes and remove with plenty of warm water. Repeat once a week.
We recommend you read:
5 Coconut Oil Remedies for Healthy Hair
2. Moisturizing cream
If you use a night cream, you can add a few drops of coconut oil. Mix very well and spread on your face before going to bed. In this way, you will increase the benefits of the ingredients and in a few days you will have a smoother and younger face.
If you do not want to use chemical deodorants or majority that irritate the skin, the best thing you can do is replace them with a homemade recipe, for example:
- 2 drops of coconut oil (2 g).
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda (10 g).
- 2 drops of essential oil of choice (2 g).
- Place the baking soda in a container.
- Pour in the coconut oil slowly.
- Mix very well.
- Add the essential oil when a paste has formed.
- Create a homogeneous cream.
- Apply on the armpits.
- Let dry before getting dressed.
Do you want to know more?
5 Natural Deodorants to Eliminate Bad Armpit Odor
Coconut oil is very nutritious and, when heated, can be used to losen the muscles. Put a few drops on the palms of your hands, rub and put on the painful areas.
Also, it is an excellent ingredient for improving the condition of skin with stretch marks or cellulite. In this case, you should massage the area after showering, which is when the pores are more open and the oil is absorbed better.
5. Lip balm
The sun, the cold, chlorine from the pool or a lack of hydration can affect the health of your lips. Do not forget that it is a very delicate area. Chapped and dry skin on the lips disappears in a few days if we apply a few drops of coconut oil every night and morning.
Also, you can buy a coconut balm and always carry it in your bag for when your lips get dried, burn or bother you. It is absorbed immediately and has a delicious tropical flavor.
6. Makeup remover
It is very important that you remove the makeup from your eyes every night when you return home in order to avoid redness or infections. In addition, we recommend that you remove your foundation and your blush so that your pores do not get clogged and your skin can “breathe.” For this, you can use a few drops of coconut oil soaked in a cotton ball. Make circular movements, without rubbing too hard to avoid irritation.
7. Shaving cream
If you use this technique to remove hair from your legs or armpits, take advantage of the moisturizing benefits of coconut oil. To do this, it must be in the form of a cream (you only have to put it in the refrigerator for a few hours). In addition, it prevents the hairs from becoming ingrown and the skin from becoming red and irritated after waxing.
There are many homemade recipes that combine coconut oil and some ingredient with exfoliating abilities, such as sugar, ground coffee and salt. The sugar serves to soften and the coffee to remove the dead skin. Below, how to prepare a homemade exfoliant based on coconut oil and sugar.
- 2 drops of coconut oil (2 gr).
- 1 spoonful of sugar (10 gr).
- Place the sugar in a container.
- Pour the coconut oil slowly.
- Mix very well.
- Form a homogeneous and sandy cream.
- Apply on skin that has been previously cleaned and dried.
- Massage for 5 minutes.
- Remove with warm water.
- Apply a moisturizer when finished.
You can make more of the mixture, always following the ratio of 2 drops of oil for each tablespoon of sugar (or solid ingredient).
9. Cuticle softener
There is nothing more beautiful than well cared for hands and nails. The cuticles should not be removed because they act as a barrier against germs and viruses that come in contact with the skin. But we can improve their appearance so that they do not look dry and damaged.
How? Very easily. Put a drop of coconut oil on the back of the right hand. With a swab spread it over the cuticles. Give it a light massage and let it absorb. Do the same with the other hand. This home remedy will also help you to have nails that are stronger and grow faster.
10. Hand cream
If you have already used coconut oil to improve the condition of your cuticles and your nails, why not take advantage of its moisturizing benefits to show off nicer, healthier and softer hands?
Put one or two drops of coconut oil on your hands and massage well. You can also use it on your feet.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Krishna, A. G. G. ., Raj;, G., Singh, B. A. ., Kumar, P. K. P. ., & Chandrashekar, P. (2010). Coconut oil: chemistry, production and its applications. Indian Coconut Journal. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-908X.2004.tb00761.x
- Nevin, K. G., & Rajamohan, T. (2010). Effect of topical application of virgin coconut oil on skin components and antioxidant status during dermal wound healing in young rats. Skin Pharmacology and Physiology. https://doi.org/10.1159/000313516
- Kappally, S., Shirwaikar, A., & Shirwaikar, A. (2015). Coconut oil – a review of potential applications. Hygeia Journal for Drugs and Medicines. https://doi.org/10.15254/H.J.D.Med.7.2015.149
- 1G. S. Vala, 2, & P. K. Kapadiya. (2014). Medicinal Benefits of Coconut Oil. International Journal of Life Sciences Research .