Four Recipes for the Main Types of Vegetable Milk
We’ve often explored the best types of vegetable milk on this page. After all, there are many adequate and healthy alternatives to cow’s milk. Types of vegetable milk are undoubtedly a very wise choice that can benefit the whole family: they are digestive, low in fat, and nutritious.
However, sometimes it’s difficult to find them in our local stores. That’s why we’d like to propose an excellent idea: What if we make them ourselves?
Find a little time and don’t hesitate to try this idea. Your health and that of your family will thank you!
Believe it or not, types of plant milk aren’t that difficult to make. The most important thing without a doubt is to find good, natural, and nontransgenic ingredients.
When it comes to adding sugars, it’s up to you. You can leave them out or substitute them with honey or stevia – whatever you think is best!
Remember also that it’s a good idea to keep vegetable milk in a glass bottle in the refrigerator, and consume this type of milk within two days. Beyond this time, it will no longer be good and it will have lost its nutrients.
Recipes to make the most common types of vegetable milk
A recipe for oat vegetable milk
Ingredients for 1 liter of milk
- 1 cup of raw (not instant) oatmeal
- 4 cups of water, depending on how thick you want the milk to be
- 6 almonds
- Ground cinnamon to taste
- Honey, or stevia, or whatever you prefer to sweeten
How to make it:
- First of all, the night before, soak both the oats and the almonds. Let the water cover them.
- The next day, drain the two ingredients well and then take them to the blender.
- Add as much water as you want. If you want a medium consistency, add 4 cups; if you want it a little thicker, add three cups.
- Add the cinnamon and the sweetener of your choice. To your taste.
- Try to make sure that all the ingredients are very fine and well-blended when you mix them in the blender, and then pass the mixture through a strainer. You will enjoy one of the best vegetable milks this way.
- Finally, the surplus oatmeal can be used to make cookies. Don’t throw it away!
A recipe for soy milk
Ingredients for 2 liters of milk
- 300 gr of soybeans (if possible without shell and not transgenic)
- One and a half liters of water
How to make it:
- To begin, wash the soybeans well. Discard any grains with different colors or those that are broken.
- Then, put the soybeans to soak for 12 hours.
- Next, drain it and take the soybeans to the blender (first without including the water). It’s necessary to blend it well, to get a thick milk.
- Next, add the water, trying to obtain a little extra soy juice and more liquid.
- Then, you just have to filter the milk. To do this, you need a cotton cloth in order to separate the solid remains from the milk. This is very important.
- Then, take it to a saucepan and heat it over medium heat.
- Every time you see that it boils and the foam rises, take the pan off the heat to lower it, and then put it back on. Stir it well.
- You have to repeat this operation until it doesn’t foam anymore (about four or five times). Once it boils without foaming, let it simmer for 25 minutes. The soybean must be well cooked; this is essential.
- Finally, you can take it to the refrigerator to let it cool. Remember that vegetable milk can’t be consumed after more than two days.
We think you may be interested in reading this, too: The Difference Between Milk Allergy and Lactose Intolerance
A recipe for rice vegetable milk
Ingredients for two liters
- 1 cup of rice
- 8 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 4 tablespoons of honey (or a sweetener of your choice to taste)
How to make it:
- Start by boiling the water. When it’s at the maximum, add the rice. Stir well.
- Once it has come to a boil, lower the heat and let the rice cook for 2 hours with the pot covered. Stir from time to time.
- When this time has elapsed, add a pinch of salt, stir, and turn off the heat.
- After it has cooled down a little, pass the rice through the blender. You need to get a very fine cream that’s almost like broth. Take the necessary time to make this happen.
- Then, add the sunflower oil and the honey or sweetener and continue blending.
- Next, strain the mixture. Trying to obtain milk without any trace of rice. This is one of the healthiest, most digestive, and low-fat kinds of vegetable milk.
You may be interested in reading this, too: Whole Milk vs Low-Fat Milk: Which One is Better?
A recipe for nut vegetable milk
Ingredients for 1 liter of nut vegetable milk
- One cup of walnuts
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of hone
- A pinch of cinnamon powder
How to make it:
- First, soak the walnuts the night before.
- The next morning, drain them and take them to the blender with the liter of water, the tablespoons of honey to taste, and the cinnamon.
- Blend everything well until you get a thick and smooth mixture.
- Then, we have to filter it. A cotton cloth is the best option to do this. Simply squeeze the mixture to release the milk from the nuts. These nuts can then be used to make cookies.
- Store the nut milk in the refrigerator in a glass bottle. Remember to consume it up to two days. After that, it loses its nutrients.
- Nutritionists consider this one of the most beneficial types of vegetable milk because of its high antioxidant content.
Prepare and try these alternatives to milk. The properties of the resulting product will depend on the composition of the starting food. Therefore, the nutritional value of the drink will depend on the “product squeezed” to obtain it, the percentage of water, and the sugar or sweetener added.
Finally, it’s very important to remember that you can only wait up to two days maximum to consume your homemade vegetable milk!It might interest you...