What is Acupressure, and What is it Used For?
According to traditional Chinese medicine, the human body has around 20 energy channels that are known as meridians.
Stimulating them can create a connection with some of your most vital organs, which creates a balance that keeps your mind and body in harmony.
When there is a blockage or intoxication of the nodes of these meridians, your energy field becomes imbalanced and can cause several symptoms and diseases that reduce your quality of life.
Acupressure, is a therapy that comes from Chinese acupuncture that aims to reactivate your energetic circulation to naturally control any medical conditions that may relate to an imbalance.
What does it consist of? What are its benefits? Continue reading to find out more about this acupressure.
What is acupressure?Acupressure is a therapeutic procedure that combines massage and acupuncture principles without the use of needles. Pressure is placed in certain strategic points located throughout your body to improve physical healing.
Each point or group of points relate to an internal organ, and a network of energy channels known as meridians, which provide the linkages.
Your “ki” or “chi,” — the vital energy that keeps you alive — circulates through these the meridians. You have this energy at the time of birth and it enhances with the air you breathe and the food you eat.
Read this article too: 5 natural remedies for high blood pressure
How does acupressure work?
Acupressure is performed by exerting pressure using the tips of fingers, knuckles, or the end of a pencil.
- Acupressure experts will explore the points and meridians of the body, applying pressure until the place that enhances healing is located.
- You may feel a slight tingling sensation during this treatment. However, as it progresses, it becomes increasingly lighter.
- Pressure applied on each point lasts about 15 to 30 seconds while the practitioner identifies the location where there is an energy imbalance. Afterwards, the relief will be almost immediate.
It’s worth mentioning that the effects of this therapy will vary among everyone. One of the most difficult aspects is identifying the points that require applied pressure. It’s normal for certain points not to work as expected.
What is acupressure used for?Acupressure is recommended as a complementary treatment for many chronic diseases or sudden health problems. It meant to stimulate your body’s energy channels and achieve a balance between body and mind in order to allow them to heal.
You can use this therapy for the following medical conditions:
- Muscle aches, cramping, or pain
- Chronic exhaustion or fatigue
- Stress, anxiety, nervousness
- Depression and sleep disorders
- Menstrual problems
- Constipation, diarrhea, or digestive problems
- Poor circulation
- Facial paralysis
The most common energy points
- Located on the back of the hand between the thumb and index finger.
- Don’t apply this treatment on pregnant women.
- You can use it to treat muscle aches, headaches, inflammatory problems, and digestive disorders.
- Located three thumb lengths and one finger below the knee.
- It calms several digestive diseases and fatigue.
- It can be helpful to alleviate back pain.
- Located along the wrist between the long palmar muscle tendons and the radial flexor.
- Used for treating palpitations, nausea, vomiting, and pain in the upper joints of the body.
- It can calm various psychological disorders.
Check out this article too: 10 tips to prevent vomiting
What are some precautions before using acupressure treatment?Before you start an acupressure treatment, keep in mind some of the following tips:
- Don’t apply this treatment on points located around the abdomen if you are pregnant.
- Don’t apply too much force should on the elderly, children, or patients with other sensitive conditions.
- It’s not a good idea to undergo this treatment if you’re hungry or under the influence of alcohol because it can cause fainting.
- The front of the neck, underarms, and sides of the chest are not recommended areas.
Acupressure is an effective technique that will reduce the impacts of any energy imbalances in the body. Although you can apply it on yourself at home, you should always do it by using the necessary information to prevent any injuries from happening.